Hello and thank you in advance for reading and being patient with my stabs at plumbing issues.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random

Reaction score
I'll need to post a couple of queries, the most annoying being my kitchen spray nozzle , the second being the slight but disturbing odor from the water faucet in one bathroom.
I replaced the kitchen spray nozzle with a standard Home Depot one Months ago. Everything appears to fit fine, but.... each time I use it, after a few uses it disconnects from the hose & water sprays all over. After months of asking at several places plus reading & watching videos online, I'm still stymied. The hose is maybe a year or two old, I place the C-clip in the groove correctly, yet it doesn't hold. I finally had to use electrical tape to affix the hose to the faucet spout & have been living with that for months; annoying & not at all useful as a spray nozzle that way! Any clues??

The second, not as annoying since I don't Have to drink the water in that bathroom, but the water from the spout smells a bit like sewer gas, which makes me think there could be an issue with the roof vent? The roof is only a few years old, so vents are clear. Where else could that smell come from? It's only in the one bathroom.

Woman living alone here, new to the area so lack of friends to call on for opinions, would So appreciate ideas. Thank you!IMG_0084.JPG

What brand faucet is it, most time using the same brand parts as the faucet is best.
Is the issue with the water smelling when in use or just that the drain smells,put vinagar down the drain, and in the over flow hole.
If it's when you use your hot water if you have a hot water heater it maybe your anode rod, there are some out there that will remove that smell, I forget what materials they are made of, maybe zinc or magnesium

Last edited:
What brand faucet is it, most time using the same brand parts as the faucet is best.
Is the issue with the water smelling when in use or just that the drain smells,put vinagar down the drain, and in the over flow hole.
If it's when you use your hot water if you have a hot water heater it maybe your anode rod, there are some out there that will remove that smell, I forget what materials they are made of, maybe zinc or magnesium
The brand suggestion makes sense, but since it's simply a question of a nozzle adhering to a hose, what difference would brand make? I do wish I could see pictures online of various brands that show how the nozzle is attached to the hose.
The issue of the water odor is when the water is turned on, not present in the sink. I'd assume if it were indeed the anode rod, all 3 house faucets would be affected? Thank you.

Nothing is standard any longer. Many different types of connections to spray hoses. Replace the head and hose as one unit to match the connection on your faucet underneath the sink.

The stink in the bathroom could be from a bad wax seal under the toilet.

The overflow of the lavatory sink holding water and it will stink. Pour bleach down that hole or holes.

There are many possibilities but those two are common.

Thanks for the input. Re: the bathroom... the smell does not sit in the bathroom at all; the only time it is evident is when water is run from the faucet, so I can't see the seal nor sink trap being a reason. My question about the spray nozzle remains why a nozzle wouldn't adhere to any standard , relatively new hose. The issue is in the connecting pieces, all of which came with the nozzle, not holding the nozzle onto the hose.

Thanks for the input. Re: the bathroom... the smell does not sit in the bathroom at all; the only time it is evident is when water is run from the faucet, so I can't see the seal nor sink trap being a reason. My question about the spray nozzle remains why a nozzle wouldn't adhere to any standard , relatively new hose. The issue is in the connecting pieces, all of which came with the nozzle, not holding the nozzle onto the hose.

The lavatory may have an overflow. This overflow can become obstructed and then it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. When water is ran through the drain it moves air. This air is pushed out of the overflow hole and can stink. It’s common......

All hose sprayers are not compatible with each other. It may look very similar but that doesn’t matter, it’s not compatible. There is no standard any longer.

That’s the best explanation I can give you.

Last edited:
The lavatory may have an overflow. This overflow can become obstructed and then it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. When water is ran through the drain it moves air. This air is pushed out of the overflow hole and can stink. It’s common......

All hose sprayers are not compatible with each other. It may look very similar but that doesn’t matter, it’s not compatible. There is no standard any longer.

That’s the best explanation I can give you.
Thanks; you've made it clear. I'll readdress the sink, see if smell is connected in any way to the overflow.

Back