Fridge Water Line - Fittings Not Working

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martycg

Reaction score
Hey, trying my first plumbing job, which I thought would be straightforward.... I got a 1/4" tube and 1/4" adapters on either end.

Then the plumber came in to solder on a new line to the cold water pipe and he says I need to put a 3/8" end on that end. So, I do that but that's too big and my original 1/4" end feels like it should fit, but the threading is wrong.

He used the same shutoff valve adapter on the faucet's hot and cold hoses.... but I don't know what size that is and if it's 1/4", is it a different thread???

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I spoke with a contractor who said to look for a 3/8" interior diameter, does that make sense? Then you say I should look for the other end being 1/4" compression?

I'm Googling that and finding nothing.

Here's what I'm dealing with, if I get another 3/8" adapter how do I know if I'm getting a different one than the first one?

Attachments

• IMG_1257 copy.jpg
    IMG_1257 copy.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 19
It's on the other side of the kitchen... it's pretty far, it was a 24' hose.

Unfortunately, I've run the hose already and now the kitchen is assembled, so I think I'm stuck with that one for better or for worse. If it doesn't work out in the end, we've got a fancy looking fridge that doesn't pour out water.

I’m not sure that hose is rated for home water pressure. You may flood your house.

I wouldn’t use it even if it is rated for water pressure.

Those fittings are not compatible with the compression threads on your valve. You’ll need a 3/8” compression X whatever will fit your hose . That said, I wouldn’t use the hose.

Haha, thank you... yes, when I'm mopping up the kitchen I will think of your words!

If anyone knows the piece that I need and could send a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

The fridge came in this morning and the inlet valve is smaller, but I can't find any sizing in the manual.

I agree with Blue Sky. I used that cheap plastic tubing once, and within 2 months, with just the vibration of the fridge, it wore a hole, and sprung a leak, which went unchecked until my kitchen cabinets on the floor were ruined. Another consideration is insurance companies will pay off the first claim, then will raise your deductible up to $5,000, for the next 5 years. Unbeknownst to me, the previous owner filed a claim here, so when I went to purchase homeowners insurance, I was "rated", even though the previous owner was just a swindler. It affected me for my first five years. Our legislatures need to put a stop on post sale penalties!

Haha, thank you... yes, when I'm mopping up the kitchen I will think of your words!

If anyone knows the piece that I need and could send a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

The fridge came in this morning and the inlet valve is smaller, but I can't find any sizing in the manual.

We know you don't want to hear it but @Twowaxhack & @BlueSkyHigh are correct! The reason your line/fittings are not working is because they are not made to be used for that application.

...Another consideration is insurance companies will pay off the first claim, then will raise your deductible up to $5,000, for the next 5 years. Unbeknownst to me, the previous owner filed a claim here, so when I went to purchase homeowners insurance, I was "rated", even though the previous owner was just a swindler. It affected me for my first five years. Our legislatures need to put a stop on post sale penalties!

In Pennsylvania we have a clause in the Agreement of Sale Contract that specifically gives the Buyer an opportunity to confirm they can obtain "affordable" insurance.

And you are correct, insurance claims follow the property not the owner(s) - logically makes sense that the (insurance) companies need CTA if the house itself is a lemon.

Looks like the hose the soft drink companies use from the plumbing stop valve to the soft drink station.

It’s temporary, they replace it every few years.

Find a Coca Cola truck and ask him to come over and hook you up. 🤭✌️

Back