Fixing a Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBoss

Reaction score
I have a large pipe running across the ceiling of my garage. I believe it to be a drain pipe. About 6 months ago I noticed a very small leak. It wasn't constant, but instead an unsteady dripping. I noticed the pipe was discolored and showing signs of rust. A plumper suggest Plumbing Epoxy as a fix versus replacing the whole pipe. I epoxied the two areas that had small drippings.

Yesterday I saw that the larger spot was shiny. A light gloss of water had seeped through the epoxy, not out of the sides, but straight in the middle of the epoxy.

I've attached pictures. What is your suggest? Should I sand off the old epoxy and place new on? Should I get a repair pipe clamp for the area? Cut the area that's rusted/weak and attach a no-hub coupling PVC pipe to the old pipe? It obviously needs replacing. I'd like the strongest yet cheapest DIY option. Thank you so much in advance!
297054_2312639852165_1134465917_2668804_1191625481_n.jpg

308725_2312616691586_1134465917_2668773_1273290444_n.jpg

You should replace the pipe. But we can't see the ends of the line to advise you how to make the repair. It looks to be a galvanized line. Or it could be cast iron. Where is it coming from? And what is it tying into?

John

It spans across my garage running from one side to the other side. It has one spot, which you can see in the top picture, that it splits going up. From the placement of where the pipe splits I can tell you this is going up into the 1st story bathroom. It doesn't split, as you can see in the bottom picture, but simply goes straight into the wall. I assume this runs up the wall to the 2nd story bathrooms? I live in a 3 story town house. The garage is street level, 1st story is bathroom and kitchen, 3rd story is 2 bathrooms and rooms. Would that make this a drainage pipe or sewage line?

302907_2313496753587_1134465917_2669639_1876457319_n.jpg

310712_2313499313651_1134465917_2669642_1279048935_n.jpg

That is no hub cast iron pipe. You have two choices. Replace the bad section with a new section of no hub or you can replace it with PVC using the same no hub couplings. No hub and PVC have the same OD. You may want to check with your local codes as the line is running through your garage. Some areas do not allow exposed PVC in a garage.

John

Thank you so much John! I really appreciate it. From the pictures and layout I described do you have any idea what this line may be? Water, sewage, something else? Also do you suggest this project be handled by a professional, or is it DIY type?

And while replacing would be the best by far would you recommend something like redoing the epoxy as a temp fix or does this look beyond that sorta temp fix?

From the looks of the size of the line I would say it serves at least one bathroom including the toilet. Your wasting your time with the epoxy.
It may be best to have a professional do the repair as the pipe you are dealing with is quite heavy. It may also need some temporary supporting while disassembling. You wouldn't want the weight of the pipe pulling joints apart in the walls.

John

Back