dishwasher. water won’t spray unless sink valve (for hot water) is turned off.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonham

Reaction score
i turn it all the way to the right. and dishwasher runs, gets water and cleans dishes.

but i don’t get any water from the sink. (hot water)

i turn it all the way to the left and sink gets water…

but then the dishwasher doesn’t work.

??

Gonna need some clarification, and pictures help a bunch. What are you turning?

A typical installation has separate hot water lines for the sink and the dishwasher. Sounds like this installation has a single hot water line that is somehow shared. Pictures please.
This. I agree 100%. Someone install this wrong. For some reason, dishwasher installations baffle people, even real plumbers. I usually do my own plumbing due to being a teacher but every now and then, my insurance company will inspect and then insist on anything looking old be replaced by plumbing company. Guess what happened? The real plumber that came to my house to replace valve under sink mixed up the hot and cold water because there were at least 3 connections being that the dishwasher was there. Can't believe it. But yeah, there is a separate hot water line that does to dishwasher and a hotwater line going to faucet for sink.

This. I agree 100%. Someone install this wrong. For some reason, dishwasher installations baffle people, even real plumbers. I usually do my own plumbing due to being a teacher but every now and then, my insurance company will inspect and then insist on anything looking old be replaced by plumbing company. Guess what happened? The real plumber that came to my house to replace valve under sink mixed up the hot and cold water because there were at least 3 connections being that the dishwasher was there. Can't believe it. But yeah, there is a separate hot water line that does to dishwasher and a hotwater line going to faucet for sink.
I wonder how common it is to have an inspector come out randomly. Been in my house 40 years, that has never happened. Maybe only in the wonderful state of Florida?

I wonder how common it is to have an inspector come out randomly. Been in my house 40 years, that has never happened. Maybe only in the wonderful state of Florida?
I do think we get more insurance inspections in Florida. But they are not random, they will ask us to schedule. But funny thing is that the last inspection for my insurance was not by a person. They made an app on the phone where you do the inspection yourself. I just completed that version last week and they said I passed. Yeah, one hurricane can cost billions of dollars like the one that hit Tampa area. I voluntarily pay for flood insurance on top of my regular home owners insurance. I could never afford to rebuild here without insurance as prices are so extremely and insanely high. I see you are in SC though? My brother in law lives near Charelston where they actually can flood way more likely than my neighborhood so I'm surprised you don't have the same insurance problems. Or is only James Island/Charelston like Florida in terms of how low it is?

I do think we get more insurance inspections in Florida. But they are not random, they will ask us to schedule. But funny thing is that the last inspection for my insurance was not by a person. They made an app on the phone where you do the inspection yourself. I just completed that version last week and they said I passed. Yeah, one hurricane can cost billions of dollars like the one that hit Tampa area. I voluntarily pay for flood insurance on top of my regular home owners insurance. I could never afford to rebuild here without insurance as prices are so extremely and insanely high. I see you are in SC though? My brother in law lives near Charelston where they actually can flood way more likely than my neighborhood so I'm surprised you don't have the same insurance problems. Or is only James Island/Charelston like Florida in terms of how low it is?
If I had an inspector come in, unless sc is still behind, I would fail as my whole house is polybutylene. (On well water for 40 years,) not one problem. But they would probably want me to re-pipe.

As an aside, some people have recommended plumbing the dishwasher with cold and letting the dishwasher heat the water up to temp. I am not sure if that's a money saver or not.

As an aside, some people have recommended plumbing the dishwasher with cold and letting the dishwasher heat the water up to temp. I am not sure if that's a money saver or not.
Do not recommend that to anyone. The dishes will not clean as well. Not only do you have to have dedicated hot water hook up to the dishwasher, I even like to turn on my hot water at the sink to flush pipes there with running hot water before the dishwasher starts up. I'm not a professional plumber but I can tell you that lots of people who complain about their dishwasher not cleaning dishes enough it's almost always because the water is not hot enough. In my younger days, I was in the restaurant business. I usually did front of house stuff but I sometimes helped in the kitchen. The number one way that dishes are properly cleaned is with tons of heat. The more heat the better. I would find other ways to save money but you have to have clean dishes.

Do not recommend that to anyone. The dishes will not clean as well. Not only do you have to have dedicated hot water hook up to the dishwasher, I even like to turn on my hot water at the sink to flush pipes there with running hot water before the dishwasher starts up. I'm not a professional plumber but I can tell you that lots of people who complain about their dishwasher not cleaning dishes enough it's almost always because the water is not hot enough. In my younger days, I was in the restaurant business. I usually did front of house stuff but I sometimes helped in the kitchen. The number one way that dishes are properly cleaned is with tons of heat. The more heat the better. I would find other ways to save money but you have to have clean dishes.
Yep, I run the water to full hot before engaging the dishwasher to fill. I have noticed, on the one or two occasions I have forgotten to do that, the dishwasher will sense too low a water temp and heat the water using the drying "element" for about ten minutes until it's ready to wash. With properly heated water it takes right off.

Do not recommend that to anyone. The dishes will not clean as well…The number one way that dishes are properly cleaned is with tons of heat. The more heat the better. I would find other ways to save money…
That is the truth. Those who have worked in a commercial kitchen know that a commercial dishwasher generally speaking will get dishes very clean and it will do it in 90 seconds! It does this with a lot of heat. The same holds true in a car wash… the hotter the water, the better the wash. You can ignore all the comments about cold water washing. Let the marketers and chemists, wax poetic on all the innovations on cleaning chemistry with cold water washing but the fact of the matter is hot water works better for everything, every time. Period.

That is the truth. Those who have worked in a commercial kitchen know that a commercial dishwasher generally speaking will get dishes very clean and it will do it in 90 seconds! It does this with a lot of heat. The same holds true in a car wash… the hotter the water, the better the wash. You can ignore all the comments about cold water washing. Let the marketers and chemists, wax poetic on all the innovations on cleaning chemistry with cold water washing but the fact of the matter is hot water works better for everything, every time. Period.
FYI, my comment about cold water washing wasn't really about cold water washing. It was about letting the dishwasher heat the water rather than your standalone hot water heater. Either way, my dishwasher at least, will not run unless the water is up to temp.

FYI, my comment about cold water washing wasn't really about cold water washing. It was about letting the dishwasher heat the water rather than your standalone hot water heater. Either way, my dishwasher at least, will not run unless the water is up to temp.
No, it is more economical to run hot water from the water heater, than to use the electrical heater in the dish washer.

omocal

I suspect that with a modern dishwasher with electronic controls (but this is a guess here) that if you plumb in the cold water line, you'll get some kind of error message about water temperature. Not sure they all are designed with sufficient heat boosting.

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation. They'll all say install to the hot water line. They make a number of easy to use valves for the purpose. It's no big deal to follow the instructions.

I suspect that with a modern dishwasher with electronic controls (but this is a guess here) that if you plumb in the cold water line, you'll get some kind of error message about water temperature. Not sure they all are designed with sufficient heat boosting.

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation. They'll all say install to the hot water line. They make a number of easy to use valves for the purpose. It's no big deal to follow the instructions.
Mine, an LG, has electronic controls. It doesn't pop up an error message but, rather, waits about ten minutes before working as it heats the water to an acceptable temperature on the handful of times I forgot to prime the hot water manually.

But more importantly, did the OP resolve his issue?

Mine, an LG, has electronic controls. It doesn't pop up an error message but, rather, waits about ten minutes before working as it heats the water to an acceptable temperature on the handful of times I forgot to prime the hot water manually.

But more importantly, did the OP resolve his issue?
As usual, here and on other forums for other things, people come and ask a question, get a set of appropriate answers, and never return to tell the forum what the end result was. Maybe he hasn't done it yet.

My dishwasher uses just 4.5 gallons of water per load. Any savings that some thrifter thinks they would get by plumbing it to cold water would be at best, illusory.

As usual, here and on other forums for other things, people come and ask a question, get a set of appropriate answers, and never return to tell the forum what the end result was. Maybe he hasn't done it yet.

My dishwasher uses just 4.5 gallons of water per load. Any savings that some thrifter thinks they would get by plumbing it to cold water would be at best, illusory.
Agreed. Let's agree to drop this. Heck I even piped my whole home humidifier to the hot side.

Back