Changing location of Sump Pump drainage (from side of house to septic)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh88503

Reaction score
Happy Sunday!

I recently purchased an older house (built in the 60s). Currently the sump pump drains off the side of the house, about 20 feet, down a little hill. I see there are two valves in the basement coming from the sump pump; the open one sends it to the side of the house. I can close it with about 5 or 6 full turns. The other value (on the right in the photo) is closed and looks like it will send the sump pump water to the leech field/septic tank.
Question is: When I attempt to open the right valve it turns less than a quarter turn. I tried putting some 'umph' behind my turn but it's solid at less than a corner turn. Is that normal? I'm guessing no. I'd much like to redirect the sump to the septic.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Attachments

• Sumpvalve.jpg
    Sumpvalve.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Both those gate valves should operate the same. The safest way to get that valve open would be to remove the bonnet nut and disassemble the stuck valve. But when you do, you will have sewer gases coming out of that pipe. You can try to use more force to open the valve, but that may damage the valve or break the handle.

And realize that by pumping non-sewer water into your septic system, you are increasing the hydraulic load on the leach field. That isn't the best thing to do.

You should not redirect water from the sump if it’s ground water. That wouldn’t be good for your septic system in most cases.

So here's where I'm confused (forgive my ignorance, I'm new to owning my own septic/well):
From what I understand if I were to build a house with its own septic system today, it's required that my sump be plumbed into my septic; it's against regulation to have your septic ran off into a ravine, or anywhere like that, any longer. So, though it may not be recommended to connect the sump to the septic, that's what people are doing per current practices?

The sump is causing the little hill it's plumbed to, to turn into complete mud; smelly mud. That was my point of wanting to redirect it in the first place. However, I don't want to cause harm to my septic, either. When I asked a co-worker about this he said that he was required to plumb his sump to his septic and that the only draw back is during the wet season the earth around the leech field is saturated.

I'm definitely open to comments on the above and appreciate the knowledge! Any comments are welcome; thank you in advance, again! :)

Are there any drains that empty into your sump pit?

Usually, when someone speaks of a sump that drains to the ground, it is pumping ground water from under/around the foundation to keep the basement dry. If the discharge has a sewer smell, it must be a sanitary sump. Does the sink in the picture drain into the sump? As GReynolds929 asked, are there any drains whatsoever going into that sump?

So here's where I'm confused (forgive my ignorance, I'm new to owning my own septic/well):
From what I understand if I were to build a house with its own septic system today, it's required that my sump be plumbed into my septic; it's against regulation to have your septic ran off into a ravine, or anywhere like that, any longer. So, though it may not be recommended to connect the sump to the septic, that's what people are doing per current practices?

The sump is causing the little hill it's plumbed to, to turn into complete mud; smelly mud. That was my point of wanting to redirect it in the first place. However, I don't want to cause harm to my septic, either. When I asked a co-worker about this he said that he was required to plumb his sump to his septic and that the only draw back is during the wet season the earth around the leech field is saturated.

I'm definitely open to comments on the above and appreciate the knowledge! Any comments are welcome; thank you in advance, again! :)
Sewage and gray water should go to the septic unless your health department allows otherwise.

All ground water that naturally occurs should not be directed to a septic system.

That’s as simple of an explanation as I can provide. My 10 yr(10) old apprentice understood that when I explained it to him.

Sewage and gray water should go to the septic unless your health department allows otherwise.

All ground water that naturally occurs should not be directed to a septic system.

That’s as simple of an explanation as I can provide. My 10 yr(10) old apprentice understood that when I explained it to him.
Possible child labor law violation! :)

Latest posts

Back