Blue-skying a bathroom drain issue as well as odor....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgilley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a year or so ago, I had my bathroom re-done by a guy who has done good work for me before (mainly decks, but he also does addition and new home construction). A year later, I'm sort of suffering death by his subcontractors (long story). It's at such a state (don't get me started on the HVAC guys), I don't think it's fixtures any more. Anyway, today's question is about bathroom vanities and slow drains. The sink itself is a basic sink with an overflow hole. Under the sink to connect to the drain line, the vanity uses this flexible pipe. Because we replaced the original single piece large vanity with two standup units, there was some plumbing work done in the wall where the original plumbing lived - just extending/moving it to match the new vanities.

Ever since the bathroom was completed, the vanities drain weird. Some times they drain at the speed you would expect, but 80% of the time, things are slow. It can take 2 minutes for the bowl to empty. One theory I have is that the flexible hoses just don't drain as fast. That was suggested by the contractor, but I'm declaring BS on this. If I stick my head under the vanity into the cabinet, I get a distinct odor. Hmm. Nothing was done to the vent stacks. FWIW, also in the bathroom is a toilet (no issues there) and a shower that drains fine but initially had a plug issue that I thought the contractor had cleared but I'm starting to wonder.

How would you start chasing this down other than calling a plumber? :)

Attachments

• image_2024-10-07_094230871.png
    image_2024-10-07_094230871.png
    108.6 KB
Those flexibles at TROUBLE. That may not be your problem, but I would HIGHLY recommend you replace them with regular P-traps. The next thing to confirm is that the sinks are vented properly. The vents are probably in the wall, so there may be something funny with the way the single sink to double sink modifications were done. Hard to trouble shoot without opening up the wall. I assume no pictures taken.

Remove that trash immediately. Get a plumber in there to hook up a 1 1/2" trap and then see how it drains. You could also pull out the stopper if you have one to see if that helps.

Back