Best Practices for Basement Plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddmanqa

Reaction score

I have an existing basement that will be finished by a contractor. The contractor will need to break up the existing concrete slabs in order to lower the floor, and thus I will have the opportunity to properly redo the plumbing (it's currently cast iron).

I'd like to get some advice on the right way to do things so that I can make those into specifications for contractors bidding on the job. I know that there are minimum building codes, but I would like to know the above-code options that are considered best practices.

I will be having the contractor replace the sewer line (clay tiles with multiple separation) and water line (lead from curb box to house). Also, the gas meter will need to be moved from its current location in the basement (where the new bathroom will be), to the new mechanical room. The City of Albany requires a cleanout outside the building.

Please see the attached basement building plan.

What is not shown is the 1st and second floor plumbing, and which I have marked with numbers.

In the basement, I plan to request a floor drain in the laundry room (#8).
On the first floor, there is an existing bathroom above the planned bathroom in the basement (#7). The kitchen sink will be on an island above the mechanical room door (#1). On the second floor, a single bathroom exists and the main stack runs along the basement wall (#2), and is a few feet north of window where the laundry room will be located. A future addition is planned above the conditioned crawlspace and will consist of a tub (#3), two sinks (#4, #5), and a toilet (#6).

I thought it would make sense to make accomodations for the future master bathroom plumbing in the basement now, so that it will be cheaper/easier in the future (just cap the pipes in the basement?).

Finally, I wanted to add an internal drainage system that the existing window wells and the new escape window well could drain into and then have it routed to a sump pump. I plan a primary sump pump and a water powered backup pump. Excavating outside is cost prohibitive to do a proper exterior tile system (plus the house is encircled in concrete/asphalt walkways driveways).

Note: I've never had any water intrusion/backups in the basement. Scale is shown on the window well in the front of the house.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Todd

Basement4.jpg

I would use USA made products.
Don't use cheap import valves and use Ball valves, not gate valves.
Avoid running water, gas or electical lines under the concrete.

Back