Assistance for Repair of Septic System

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markinnc

Reaction score
I believe either the pump or float switch has failed on a septic system that was installed in 2001. I heard gurgling when taking a shower and an inspection showed a higher than normal water level. The existing switches were reused in 2001. I have installed a small bathroom lift station so I am familiar with some of the basics on how a septic system operates. I believe I can do the repair with support from the members of this generous community. I have attached 2 images that show details about the system (head, alarm, etc).

1) I will be replacing a Gould WE0511H. It appears the Little Giant 620231 is a comparable pump for about half the cost. Is it a reasonable choice to use a less expensive pump?

2) I am planning to pull the pump tomorrow morning to test the float switch. Probably best to replace a 30 year old switch but I am not sure how to choose one. Is this an appropriate choice? https://www.grainger.com/product/45JZ17

3) General recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Mark

Attachments

• 20240929_125517.jpg
    20240929_125517.jpg
    6.6 MB
  • 20240929_125741.jpg
    20240929_125741.jpg
    1.1 MB
On many pumps there are separate wires for the pump and the switch, I can unplug my pump from the switch cord and plug it directly into the receptacle to test the pump and switch, without pulling the pump.

On many pumps there are separate wires for the pump and the switch, I can unplug my pump from the switch cord and plug it directly into the receptacle to test the pump and switch, without pulling the pump.
Thanks, your suggestion is a good one but my system is wired in line versus using a piggyback plug. I was able to use a long board to lift the float and trigger the pump. Turns out that I had a clogged drain. For the record, the Little Giant pump I proposed as a cost saver does not appear to be a good choice given my long run to the junction box.

Back