American Standard Cadet 3 or Reliant versus Gerber Maxwell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bird Doo Head

Reaction score
Hello To All!
We've been seeking a toilet for our home. We want the one that has the shortest length from back wall to front of bowl (Knee versus Radiator). We measured for a corner toilet only to find that the distance from bowl to vanity cabinet and to radiator don't allow me to reach in for cleaning.

Ideally, the device will be standard height, round front and ten inch rough in. Roughing in for 12" might not work because of the angle & height of the horizontal waste line below. The offset is too small for even 22-1/2's rolled. Maybe an offset flange would work, but I'd still have to move a hydronic line. So, ten inch seems to be the best bet.

The shortest front-to-wall ones we've found are:
American Standard Cadet 3 (270DB.001) at 26-1/4" to wall. Price: $222.00 (Big Box. Supply Houses I use for hydronics can't get it)
3" Flush Valve
2-1/8 Trapway
MaP 1,000

American Standard Reliant (3332.DB.101CR) at 25-7/8" to wall. Price: $179.00 (Big Box only)
2" Flush Valve
2" Trapway
MaP 600

Gerber Maxwell (GSE20100) at 25-3/4 to wall. Price: Unknown. Have not found it yet, nor bowl & tank separately
2" Flush Valve
1-3/4" Trapway
I think the MaP is 600 from the MaP search.

The supply houses can get American Standard Cadet Pro, but they are about $80.00 more. I can't figure out the specification differences versus Cadet 3 other than warranty length.

I have read good things about Gerber and complaints about American Standard. So, this is confusion.
I've read here good things about American Standard Cadet 3 FloWise (Thank You to Breplumb) but I don't know if FloWise is the same thing as the Cadet 3 that I'm looking at (FloWise isn't mentioned in the documentation)

To my untrained mind, the Cadet 3 seems to have an edge due to flush valve & trapway size, plus MaP score, however I don't know how important those numbers are in real life.

Since everyone here has far more knowledge & experience than I, which one would you recommend?
Do you have good/bad experience with any of these?
Also, most come in 1.6 gpf and 1.28. Is there a performance difference? (Cost of water means something as we pay over 1 cent per gallon here.)

Thanks for sharing your opinions, recommendations and experiences with these toilets.

Paul

Cadet 3 and Pro and Cadet 3 FloWise (Home Despot model) flush very, very well in both bowl configs.
Elongated bowls rule if you have a big d**k. I throw everything I can at the flowise and have only had one clog in a year and a half. 1.28 works fine

Thank You Breplumb for taking time to reply. I appreciate the sharing of your results with the models. I'm much more comfortable buying an American Standard Cadet 3 or Pro now. Ten inch, round front, normal height certainly limits one's choices. Picky, picky, picky.

Elongated would be very nice to have here, but the extra ca. 2-1/4" from the back wall is problematic in this crowded room. (Radiator) The same holds true with 12" rough, although that would open up lots more choices in fixtures.

The Gerber guy was a jerk when I asked the MaP rating & gap to wall for Maxwell, so they are out. "Look it up" isn't a great answer.

Thanks, too, for mentioning that the 1.28 works well. I'm happy to use less water.
We've still got an Atlas LaMosa that uses 3.6 gpf. It was the ultimate in water saving 30+ years ago when I installed it.
When I bought this house, it had 2 toilets with separate, wall mount tanks. They had those old, short, tee shaped fill valves that were fed through the back wall of the tank. I'll bet those toilets used a whole lot of water.
Times sure have changed.

Thanks Again Guys,
Paul

Still, always look up MaP rating…even though Am Std has designed mostly over-1,000 units, I have not looked up 10” models and they probably do not test them since they are extremely and infrequently used.

Still, always look up MaP rating…even though Am Std has designed mostly over-1,000 units, I have not looked up 10” models and they probably do not test them since they are extremely and infrequently used.
Thanks for this very good point about checking MaP testing. Some toilets score very, very low, despite premium prices.

I was surprised to find that American Standard was consistent about submitting their 10" for MaP testing. All of the 10" are there, varying from 600 to 1,000 MaP.

Toto also had theirs tested. Other manufacturers were hit-or-miss- if at all for 10".

Back