8 Sided Coupler in Tub Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a little reluctant to post this as I think I'm missing something but here goes......
Has anyone seen an '8 sided coupler in a tub drain? I'm trying to replace a tub drain/overflow setup in an old but standard tub (early 60's). It looks like a standard setup with a riser up to the overflow - down to the 't' - over to the tub drain shoe - down and over to the 'trap (u shaped- through a couple of rt angles - and into an adapter that is screwed into the cast iron main drain pipe. I have to replace the hardware for the overflow and tub drain. This whole setup is for the tub on the second floor so I had to get access through a cut hole in the ceiling on the first floor. I have cut just enough of the ceiling to allow tight access the 'all copper' connections. I have cut away the overflow and tub 'shoe' assy all in one piece and I'm looking at the rest of the assy. Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of the rt angles and the main cast iron drain. If I face the wall, the overflow and the tub shoe are to the right - and the remaining copper is on the left with the cast iron pipe behind the copper. Access is EXTREMELY tight as there is wood everywhere to support the tub. I can see the opening into the cast iron pipe and the coupler screwed into it and the copper piece soldered to the back of the coupler. I can get my hand around the drain pipe and can see/feel the coupler screwed into it. I gotta tell ya, that coupler is really screwed into the main TIGHT! I have very little room in there and I'm trying to get that coupler out. I've tried all kinds of rigups to get enough leverage on the rt angles to turn the whole remaining soldered pieces to rotate that coupler out without any luck. I'm contemplating using a propane torch to get the copper off of that coupler (I know, I know) to get direct access to the face of the coupler. The problem, though, is that I think that coupler is -8- sided, not 6. I've felt all the way around it several times, counting flats, and I always come up with 8! I cannot believe it but when I stuck a made-up measure, I could not get an accurate 'face to face' measure to see if I had a socket that would fit (whoever heard of an 8 sided socket?). Even if I get the copper off, how am I going to turn that coupler? I'm really bamboozled. Any thoughts? Whew... Oh, yeah, I can't even get a camera in there to see what that coupler looks like. Thanks to all.

Sounds impossible to me. Got to get full access. Btw, it is called a threaded ‘adapter’ not a coupler.

Pics won't help as the adapter is buried behind a bunch of angled copper 90 degree turns. I did learn that what I'm looking at is a 1-1/2" adapter - threaded male to sweat copper. And available at plumbers supply. I managed to get all the soldered pieces off with my MAP torch and now I'm looking head-on at the face of the adapter and it is 8-Pts! (Learned something new). All I have to do now is find an 8-Pt socket, put on an extension and a long drive bar and twist it out of the waste pipe. The problem I feel I will meet is that it is really locked into that waste pipe but one step at a time.
Thanks for the reply.

Back