whole house water filter installation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silguy

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for instructions or tips regarding to installing a whole house water filter(one of those 4 foot high tanks) to our house. I searched and couldn't find anything specific or links. I'm in socal, so don't have a basement. So w/ these types of water filters, i need to cut the water supply piping prior to entering the house correct? Can anyone direct me to a link or directions?

Thanks,

i believe it's a water softener as it's one big tank that recirculates the whole house water. However, there is a filter inside, but we don't need to change it in 7-10 years. I'm not even too sure exactly what it is, since i didn't buy it. My parents pretty much brought it over when they moved in and wanted me to install it. I believe the person they bought it from kitted the parts together as the tank is from WaterGroup Companies, but the model# and such, doesn't match w/ website. Also, the valvles and electronics are weird numbers.

Before I installed any kind of filter, I would like to know what it is and what it's supposed to remove. Then get a water test on my water and see if the filter will even do any good.

It would also be helpful to know that it works before going to the trouble of installing it.

All you need to do is find out where the water main enters the building and either cut in to that line, run a line over to the water filter location, and run another line back to the line that continues to fee the house. The bad thing about using used items that you can't verify the information is you don't know how old the unit is and you can't really tell if its working without testing the water coming in and going out of the unit.

All you need to do is find out where the water main enters the building and either cut in to that line, run a line over to the water filter location, and run another line back to the line that continues to fee the house. The bad thing about using used items that you can't verify the information is you don't know how old the unit is and you can't really tell if its working without testing the water coming in and going out of the unit.

Just to add, if you have an irrigation system tied to your main line, you will need to bypass this as soft water is expensive and not good for foilage.

Back