What to do about a clogged washing machine pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eniak1980

Reaction score
I have a metal standing drain pipe that my washing machine drains into. It has occasionally overflowed a small amount over the last few months- maybe 3 times over the last 3-4 months. I have used a combination of baking soda and vinegar down the drain each time, hoping that would fix it. This drain has backed up a few years ago.

There is some thought in my mind that there could be a clog in the washing machine hose. Is there a way to tell without removing the hose?

Even if I am able to hire a plumber to clear the drain, is there a product that can be used safely with the pipes as a preventative to this happening again?

Hello Eniac,
We get detergent build up in the standpipe's trap, reducing flow & causing overflows. My first try is to use septic tank enzymes. They're really good at eating soap & detergent scum. Mix some in barely warm water, dump it into the pipe and wait over night. A pack is about $2.00 at Home Depot. (The enzymes also work great on bathroom sink and tub drain soap build up and kitchen drains where accidentally grease sneaks in.)

If you can get the end of the hose out of the standpipe, perhaps a blow out bag will clear it. (Cold or warm water only & safety eye wear for your protection.)

Or, maybe purchase an inexpensive hand auger or sink gun.

Just some ideas to share.
Paul

Attachments

• Enzymes.png
    Enzymes.png
    104.7 KB
  • Blow Out Bag.png
    Blow Out Bag.png
    210 KB
  • Hand Auger.png
    Hand Auger.png
    206.5 KB
Hello Eniac,
We get detergent build up in the standpipe's trap, reducing flow & causing overflows. My first try is to use septic tank enzymes. They're really good at eating soap & detergent scum. Mix some in barely warm water, dump it into the pipe and wait over night. A pack is about $2.00 at Home Depot. (The enzymes also work great on bathroom sink and tub drain soap build up and kitchen drains where accidentally grease sneaks in.)

If you can get the end of the hose out of the standpipe, perhaps a blow out bag will clear it. (Cold or warm water only & safety eye wear for your protection.)

Or, maybe purchase an inexpensive hand auger or sink gun.

Just some ideas to share.
Paul
Paul

How often would you use this enzyme? Is it safe long term for pipes?

Latest posts

Back