What happened to my hot water tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaHotWater

Reaction score
Hey there 👋 First time poster. Located in Alaska with winter approaching, yet my hot water tank just failed.

Purchased this house last year. The electric hot water tank was ~22 years old but operating fine since I'd owned it.

The only thing that has changed is that I had a contractor replace my water softener a few weeks ago, and they slightly adjusted the system that connects my water tank (see blue PEX).

A few days ago, I was taking a shower and noticed that the water was significantly hotter than usual. My wife noticed the same thing later in the day with the sink. And then the next day....no hot water at all.

I've attached a picture of my system, and happy to add more. I'm wondering if the new piping setup eventually prevented water from getting to the tank, and it ended up running dry and burning out the element (hence the very hot water, and then no hot water at all).

I'm not sure how to verify if there's water in the intake PEX tubing. Or what measures I should take to confirm this diagnosis. Does the piping setup suggest anything may have gone wrong?

Much thanks from up north! Hard to find contractors here, so you're help is very appreciated 🙏

Picture details: water comes in from a well, through a sediment filter, then through the water softener, and from there branches into 1) main supply feed, and 2) my hot water system.

Attachments

• signal-2024-10-10-142207.jpeg
    signal-2024-10-10-142207.jpeg
    353 KB
The thermal high limit reset may have tripped on the top thermostat.

Check amp draw of elements and make sure all wires are tight and secure with no signs of over heating.

One of your elements may have grounded out then burnt out and tripped the high limit button on the upper thermostat.

From the looks of the heater, it’s old.

Give me the first 4 numbers of the serial number and I’ll tell you how old.

Back