Water Supply Sizing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemh

Reaction score
Greetings,

Within the next few months I will start construction on my new house. It is located in the country so it will be on county water. I am not sure of the flowrate since the meter isn't installed yet, but I do know the meter will be 3/4".

Assuming the house will be about 500' from the meter (little-to-no elevation change) what would be the ideal SCH 40 PVC pipe size? I had initially figured 1" but given the distance would something larger (1 1/4" perhaps) be better suited?

Thanks!

I would go with 1-1/4 minimum. It wouldn't hurt to go with 1-1/2 as the difference in price between the two is very minimal. Your biggest cost will be the trenching.

John

Wow, ok so a bigger supply line would be preferable. I assume then I would just reduce back down to 3/4" at the house to gain back the pressure loss from going to a larger supply line? (standard 4BR ranch house, 2 Bath)

I have access to a trencher so I should be good to go there.

Thanks for the input!

One more thing if you do go with 1-1/2 be sure it's SCH 40. 1-1/2 PVC is also made in what is called foam core it's used for waste and vent piping, and it's not suitable for water.

John

Back