Water coming up through the stub up?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericivins

Reaction score
I have a Laundry room that backs the Garage. It rained hard over the weekend, and Sunday I noticed a leak running down the Garage footer. Long story short, I opened the wall up and only the bottom plate has water - No water damage to the drywall/insulation, so the Laundry box is not leaking.....I tried some different things, and it for sure is not leaking......

Which brings me to this - I pulled some of the neoprene off the warm water side where it comes through the concrete - Maybe an inch or so down.......I took a towel, dried out as much as I could, and came back around 15 mintues later to find it full of water again - The cold side is not doing this

I sprayed some expanding foam around the pipe to see if that may be a temporary fix to a possible bigger problem. It's at a slow trickle - I have water running out of my garage and draining out the driveway from this spot.

This is only a recent thing, though by looking at the rust on the nail plates, it may have happened prior to me living here. This spot was never originally sealed when the house was built in 03'. This is well water, and the pressure guage is telling me I don't have a leak.......

Thoughts?

It sure sounds like you have a slab leak. They start very slow so it would take a long time for it to show up on a pressure gauge. Try turning off the water at the main valve. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then turn the water back on. If you here it refilling your system you have a slab leak. It is a very common thing in Florida.

John

Last edited:
It sure sounds like you have a slab leak. They start very slow so it would that a long time for it to show up on a pressure gauge. Try turning off the water at the main valve. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then turn the water back on. If you here it refilling your system you have a slab leak. It is a very common thing in Florida.

John

I let it sit for around 15 minutes, and the system is still sitting at the pressure it was prior.......

When you turned it back on did you her the water refilling the pipes? It will not show on the gauge as the leak may be very small.

John

The tank, the pipes, and the softener were silent when the valve was turned back on, and the pump isn't running more than it usually does.......

The pipe itself isn't loose, and I would figure if it were a leak, it be at the 90 coming into the footer and up through the slab or somewhere really close......

I did talk to the previous owner, and she said the same thing did happen after one of the Hurricanes, and dried up some time after. This is a few inches away from a corner where the exterior house wall and exterior garage wall meet, so there may be excess water draining from the roof line into the sideways T that all the walls involved create......So right now I'm at a loss now, whether I need to beat up concrete or re-work the drainage........

There should be no fittings under the slab. It is all done with soft tubing and looped from one location to another with the fittings in the wall. There is a company that we use called American Leak Detection. They will come out locate and expose the leak and make a temporary repair. At that point we come out make a proper repair to the line and repair the slab. The problem with leaks under the slab is it may be showing up in one location but the actual leak may be as much as 4' away. They pinpoint the leak and in most cases the hole they cut in the slab is only 12" x 12".

John

There should be no fittings under the slab. It is all done with soft tubing and looped from one location to another with the fittings in the wall. There is a company that we use called American Leak Detection. They will come out locate and expose the leak and make a temporary repair. At that point we come out make a proper repair to the line and repair the slab. The problem with leaks under the slab is it may be showing up in one location but the actual leak may be as much as 4' away. They pinpoint the leak and in most cases the hole they cut in the slab is only 12" x 12".

John

It's all CPVC......This is a Holiday house......

Back