Washing machine shut off with leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddy

Reaction score
I would like to add inline leak detection and automatic shut offs to these manual shut offs to my washing machine. We have had hoses blow while unattended and lots of water ran in basement of previous house. Our new house has a ground floor laundry so this is of greater concern. I don't want to remove these valves and get into the wall. I have looked at add on devices online and I would like to know what would be easy and perform well. The obvious solution would be to shut off the valves when not doing laundry. The wife is much shorter than me and just can't do that. The valves are kind of stiff.
washing machine shutoff.jpg

I tried those steel braided lines that shut off if they blow, but had to return them because they don't work with my front load washer. I guess they dump too much water all at once, making the hoses think there is a busted hose.

I thought metal braided lines would solve the problem. You can see that I am using them now in the picture. I once had a braided line that blew. The braid was intact but the end separated. Same massive water in the basement. Floor drain took all the water.

There is a new(er) braided line that senses quick water loss, and automatically shuts off the water. They are about twice the price as normal braided lines, and includes a reset switch. The switch would pop after every wash.

Thanks. I never heard about these. I found non-braided leak detecting hoses at Amazon. They have an inner plastic hose and a corrugated hose outside of it. If water leaks from the inner hose into the space between the hoses it flows to the in-line shut off valve and closes it. Some have said elsewhere that they restrict flow and severely lengthen washing machine cycles. If flow is not restricted then this would be a nice option.

You might think this is sarcastic but when ever we leave the house for a vacation I always shut the water main down , or use the branch isolation valves for the laundry
I shut the meter off when I leave for a trip. I’ve considered installing a solenoid that’s controlled by my alarm system. Turns water off everytime I arm it in “ away mode “

I shut the meter off when I leave for a trip. I’ve considered installing a solenoid that’s controlled by my alarm system. Turns water off everytime I arm it in “ away mode “
Love that idea, except it would shut off all my exterior irrigation as well. I'm currently looking into a Moen Control, which I can shut down the interior with a phone app, or if it senses an unusual water loss, it will do it for me automatically.

Our Florida community has many snow birds who leave for extended periods. Turning off the water main is standard. Personally, if we leave for more than a day, I shut off the water. Irrigation is separate under community control. I would shut off laundry after use but the wife unit cannot reach the valves to turn back on for her use. Also the valves are pretty stiff.

Latest posts

Back