Kitchen waterlines/dishwasher noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanroth77

Reaction score
Last year we had plumbers put water arrestors on the laundry and hot water heater pipes. They never addressed the dishwasher and refused to come back out. The dishwasher, when ran, the pipes sound like they are banging in the wall. Even with the hammer arrestor. I changed the settings to econmy on the dishwasher and it stopped. This was back in January and the dishwasher is only a year old.

Banging when running the dishwasher has started again. This has been going on for a a couple of weeks. When running hot or cold water, randomly there will be banging noise. This doesn't happen often.

It has been suggested to put new shut valves for each water line. What is everyones opinion on this? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20241008_173546.jpg
    20241008_173546.jpg
    1.9 MB
Banging from quick closing faucet or fixture (icemaker, DW) is why UPC requires water hammer arrestors.
Your pic shows arrestor on the DW water supply.
It is very rare, but the little washer on the angle stop could be loose. that is easy to uncover by turning water off, depressurizing the hot line and removing the threaded plastic stem and see.
otherwise, I would guess very loose, poorly strapped pipe behind the wall.
Also, make sure your house pressure is under 80 psi.

Banging from quick closing faucet or fixture (icemaker, DW) is why UPC requires water hammer arrestors.
Your pic shows arrestor on the DW water supply.
It is very rare, but the little washer on the angle stop could be loose. that is easy to uncover by turning water off, depressurizing the hot line and removing the threaded plastic stem and see.
otherwise, I would guess very loose, poorly strapped pipe behind the wall.
Also, make sure your house pressure is under 80 psi.
Thank you. I will definitely look into that. I think the pipes are poorly strapped in places. I actually sprayed foam in the walls where I could. I live in a condo. I need to find out if there is access between the firewall or not. Thank you again.

What's your water pressure? Is there an expansion tank at the water heater? New shut off's won't change the banging. You should have hammer arrestor at any quick closing valve, like the dishwasher and ice maker. The pipes may be loose in the wall and moving when water is shut off.

Latest posts

Back