Updating Pipes With Ball Valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barber

Reaction score
I want to remove my old circle handles outside of my house where the garden hose connects and replace them with ball valve handles.They are screw on/off types.My only question is once i unscrew my old ones what do i need to put on the threads before screwing on the ball valve handle.Thanks.

If it is a screw on, I like to use Rectorseal #5. If it is a slip/slip PVC, then obviously PVC glue.

Are you talking about changing something like the first picture with something like the second picture?

It's called a hose bib.
Just use some teflon tape.
Wrap it twice clockwise on the male threads.
Use two wenches. one on the fitting you are unscrewing the old valve from and one on the valve.

imagesCAZYI5RJ.jpg

imagesCANHB0ZC.jpg

The first picture yes,im replacing with a ball valve red handle to shut it off and on,tried uploading a pic but im not sure how
Brass_Ball_Valve.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Brass_Ball_Valve.jpg

Standard (white) teflon tape is indeed the trick here. I suppose you could use some sort of compound but I personally find it messy. Also, if you don't do a lot of plumbing it is kind of a waste to purchase, a roll of t-tape will only run you a few cents.

Back