Update: Line backed up again, now what?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenik

Reaction score
I experienced sewage back up about a week ago and had my main line snaked, but nothing was pulled back. The line worked fine until yesterday.
Here is a link to my previous thread outlining my problem. HERE

Yesterday, the City was in my back yard to access the man hole, stating that one of my neighbors was experiencing sewage problems. The next day, my line backed up again so I called the City to come out and see what was going on.

Two city guys game in a big truck with a pressurized water snake hose. They went in my back yard and opened up the City man hole cover and ran their pressurized water hose way up the main line. Their line was not clogged. The guy was real nice and ran the same pressurized water line into my line to where it meets with the city and my line began draining.

We could see down in the man hole that the water was very muddy that was draining from my line into the city main.

The city guy told me that when it's this hot, my line could've shifted from the hard clay ground and became unattached to the city main.

I have called the service location people to come and mark the utility lines in my back yard to prepare for the inevitable digging.

What should I do next? Should I have the line camera'ed to verify that the problem is what the City guy said? I don't want to pay a plumber an outrageous amount just to dig a hole, should I hire laborers to do that? Thanks for the advice in advance.

I would have it inspected with a camera.
Ask them if they have the ability to locate the camera head with an electronic locator to verify exactly where and if you see any visible problems.
If you do have to dig it up you will want to dig in the right place.
I have a Rigid SeaSnake camera and it has a transmitter in the camera head.
A locator can accurately pinpoint it's location and how deep it is.

Check you local laws in regards to warranty on new home.
Here I Calif there is a 10 warranty on new homes and you may be able to get the builder to repair it.

Couldn't have said it any better than Mr_David. This is our usual routine with these kinds of problems.

Thanks, I have a plumber with a camera coming over soon. For $250 He's going to snake and show me the exact location of the problem.

Have it snaked properly with the right cutter heads, then make sure you get a camera down the line to figure out why it's clogging. Could be a busted hub, roots, or even the city backed up into your line. Camera should show the problem.

Back