Toilet Wax Seal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTyson

Reaction score
Recently, I have replaced the wax seal on a american standard toilet and 2 months later the toilet is leaking at the base. The toilet is firmly connected to the floor and has two wax seals. When I flush i can hear water going underneath the house. Is there a clog in the pipe that caused the seal to break? Or, is something else going on.

Did you use the seals with the neoprene sleeve? if so then did you remove the sleve between the seals?

stacking wax seals often leads to periodic maitenence of the seals ( replacement )

next time you go, get some Flange extensions ( the plastic ones ) you can add them to the flange to lessen the distance between the seal face of the toilet and the flange, thus eliminating the need for stacked seals. The extensions come in kits that have everything you need except screws and are under 10 bucks.

Is it possible that a clog in the drain is breaking the wax seal on the toilet cause now it is leaking again!?

Yes a stoppage below the toilet will often cause the wax seal to leak. Once the stoppage has been cleared it may not continue to leak but I would replace the wax seal once it leaks.

John

Is it the main drain from the basement causing the issue? The reason I ask is I'm having someone re Route the sump pump to a different drain and they are going to unclog the drain in the basement. I am getting slow draining from the sink upstairs which is attached to the same drain the sump pump is connected to. The problem is the drain can't withstand the pressure of the sump pump when on and it is coming through the basement drain and the sink (that is connected to it in the basement) so they are routing the existing drain to another drain ( thus having 2 drains for the sump pump). He called it sewage overflow.

It has a basin in the inside where the sump pump sits but it is still connected to the the sink and the drain from upstairs.

Back