Toilet PVC drain pipe came loose from pipe that leads to sewer.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireshark

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I am replacing the floor in my bathroom, and had to remove the subfloor down to the joists because of damaged wood. When removing the flooring from underneath the flange, i was jiggling the flange/pipe around to break it free as needed. Apparently this caused the other end of the pipe, where it connects into a larger pipe that runs to sewer, to simply slide out. Can i just slide it back in? Or does it require some type of PVC cement? (the fact that it slid out so easily leads me to believe there wasn't any PVC cement in it to begin with, but i cant be sure)

Here is a pic, if it helps:

hmlvF.jpg

thanks for any help!

I would clean it up, sand it to give you a new surface, prime and glue it. Just make sure you are in the correct position as there are no second chances.

I don't see any purple primer on any of those joints. That would make me very suspect of the rest of the joints. Properly primed and glued PVC joints don't come apart. Plus that's a sanitary tee laying on it's side which is not allowed in most codes.

John

thanks guys. well i crawled under the house to get a better look at it, and it looks like it has always been screwed up. the T joint that comes out of the main drain pipe is at a slight angle upwards, instead of straight out, as you can see in this picture. You can also see the dirt line, how it has always been pushed in.

SCLwt.jpg

so when i push it in, it ends up like this:

does8.jpg

the top of it is barely even completely in:

UF85Y.jpg

I'm guessing the way to fix it would be to remove that T section and install a new one that comes straight out without the slight upward angle... then i could set the toilet pipe straight back and flush. But from john's comment, it sounds like that still wouldnt be properly installed, since the T is on its side like that. How should sanitary T's be? Straight up and down, or can they come out at a 45 angle or something?

For now i just shoved it in the best i could and gave it some support. It will have to wait at least until i finish putting the floor back in right now. Apparently it's been that way for 20 years or so, so im assuming it isn't an emergency (and that it wont turn into one soon, lol). I checked on the ground below the junction, and the dirt was soft enough to sink a long screwdriver in, so im sure it has been leaking at least a little bit.

thanks again for the input.

ewww... you crawled in that??
i'm 'third-ing' what john said... seeing that joint with the rest of your fittings... i'd question them aswell

Back