Toilet inlet valve won't shut off - clicks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMayo

Reaction score
The inlet valve for one of my toilets has gotten to where it won't shut off completely. Twisting the handle clockwise it seems to get near the end of its travel, then just starts clicking as you twist, like the gas cap on a car. Is it supposed to do that somehow, or does it need to be replaced? If needs replaced, how? I've never worked with PEX and it looks like that fitting has been crimped onto the valve... would I just cut the PEX below the crimp and use a different kind of fitting? Any help/tips appreciated.

Toilet Inlet Valve 2024-10-12_214532.jpg

Most likely the cheap plastic handle is cracked where it fits on the spline. If you have the same shutoff valve at another fixture in the house, swap handles and see if that works.

Most likely the cheap plastic handle is cracked where it fits on the spline. If you have the same shutoff valve at another fixture in the house, swap handles and see if that works.
You may be onto something here. I do have another of those valves in another bathroom, but it does the same thing when I swap the plastic handles. Both handles are cracked, though, so they could be slipping around the valve shaft. I'll carry one of those handles up to HD and see if I can find a match with the the metal handle on another valve. Thanks, @Rickyman!

Hey @Rickyman, just wanted to confirm that the cracked plastic valve handle was the problem. I replaced it with a sillcock handle (only thing at the local hardware store that fit my spline), and the valve works properly now. Thanks again for the help!!

12spline.jpg

Back