Tissue paper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weissman

Reaction score
Hi

My wife asked a question . Can you throw common tissue paper (facial Tissue e,g,) into a toilet that is operating properly? The toilets are new Kohler products, installed only a few months ago. The home has city sewers and there are no known pipe or drain issues.

:)

Last edited:
No. Toilet paper and tissues are not the same. Tissues could be just as risky as paper towels in a sewer. Take some tissues and take roughly the same quantity of toilet paper. Soak both with water. Pull them apart into pieces and see the difference. Toilet paper will get mushy and break apart and tissue is still tough and fibrous even though it tears. Toilet paper will clear from a sewer with more ease, but if tissue paper catches in the sewer it is harder to remove.

I've never heard of tissue causing a back up, or even being able to distinguish one form the other when clearing a drain, but I'll take Bill Nye's word for it.;) Don't flush many if you do.

Last edited:
Also just because something makes it through the toilet doesn't mean it will make it through your plumbing system. With these low flow toilets nowadays less water is being used to carry the solids away so more blockages tend to happen. Tissues are meant to withstand a trumpet blast, so I do not recommend flushing many at a time.

Caduceus is correct here. Toilet paper is designed to break apart in water, tissue paper is designed to stick together and not tear easily. A blockage of tissue paper will form much easier than on of toilet paper and be more difficult to clear.

The odd one now and then shouldn't be harmful, but don't start using tissue to wipe because it was on sale :p

As far as i concern, you can reduce the risk of blockage by:
1. Install a 45 degrees T Joint or Long Radius Elbow fitting at the bottom of the system
2. Install an another emergency system within the area (Floor Clean Out on the top), so when there is a blockage, it will become handy
3. As Caduceus says, specific toilet paper is safer to use.

:("Hello",

Because of what Caduceus explained `Tissues` are definitely NOT suitable for `Flushing` - `Good Quality` Tissues can be used like Paper Towels for wiping up - as they are designed and manufactured to be `Resistant` to Breaking Down when `Wet` - When You are using these `Good Quality` Tissues [E.G. Kleenex Balsm] as you would have a Handkerchief [In the `Old Days`] You would see that they Do NOT Fall Apart as `Cheaper` ones would.

This is what makes them VERY Unsuitable for `Flushing down the Toilet`,
they would definitely contribute to Blockages - They can `Form` a Blockage in situations where `Toilet Paper` would have `Broken Down` - as designed and manufactured to do.

THIS is what I have come to - Describing the `Suitability`/ `Unsuitability` of Tissues for use within the Drainage System ! !

CHRISM

Last edited:
"Hello" I did NOT put the Frown `Emotion` on My Post - Am I correct in thinking that this can ONLY have been put there by A Moderator ??

I am under the impression that ONLY I or a Moderator can `Edit` My Posts - And that I can only do so for a Short Period of Time after Posting ??

I am `Slightly Concerned` - NOT Because of the Frown Emotion [?] - BUT Because the Person who put it there could have Written Anything in the `Edit` - Although obviously I Trust the Moderators - Is it possible that it was NOT a Moderator ? - And Why would someone Add this Frown Emotion ??

Any Comments from the Moderators - "Please"

CHRISM

I sent Chrism a private message explaining this, but in case others are also concerned, we as moderators are prohibited from modifying a post in any way due to legal reasons. I did look into the forensics of the post, and the frown symbol was not in a different color, indicating it was from the original post. Many are unaware that besides clicking on the different smilies offered, there are shortcuts to bypass the silly faces. If you add a : along with a ( together, you will receive a :(, which will automatically convert to a smilie, or in this case a frown. I hope this helps you understand that sometimes these boxes we look at daily are sometimes smarter than we think!

Havasu
(one of your faithful moderators)

"Hello" I did NOT put the Frown `Emotion` on My Post - Am I correct in thinking that this can ONLY have been put there by A Moderator ??

I am under the impression that ONLY I or a Moderator can `Edit` My Posts - And that I can only do so for a Short Period of Time after Posting ??

I am `Slightly Concerned` - NOT Because of the Frown Emotion [?] - BUT Because the Person who put it there could have Written Anything in the `Edit` - Although obviously I Trust the Moderators - Is it possible that it was NOT a Moderator ? - And Why would someone Add this Frown Emotion ??

Any Comments from the Moderators - "Please"

CHRISM

I have access to the edit logs and best I can tell you edited it and may have accidentally put that in there. No mod or admin (of which I am the only one) has altered your post to any degree. A log is created when that happens. I have copied the log for reference.

I understand the concern though and appreciate the opportunity to clarify our stance.

We edit for the removal of offensive or negligent material (if someone gives dangerous advice), we do not edit or remove for any other reason.

Edit_log_PF.jpg

Back