thread dimesion wit work

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjpm

Reaction score
I need information on dimesions on an old pipe thread used in bathtub 30 yrs ago.
My plumber says it is 5/8 w.work

I appreciate it. Thx in advance.
JAG

Maybe your plumber is right. It sure is hard to tell from this view point?

"Hello",

The Plumber MAY be Thinking of `WHITWORTH` which was the FIRST `Machined` Thread in the World - Although I imagine that He means a PIPE Thread [ British Standard Pipe Thread ?]

Here is a Quote about `British Standard Whitworth`:

The Whitworth thread was the world's first standard [1], devised and specified by Joseph Whitworth in 1841. Until then, every industry had used their own screw threads. The new standard specified a 55° thread angle and a thread depth of 0.640327p and a radius of 0.137329p, where p is the pitch. The thread pitch increases with diameter in steps specified on a chart. The Whitworth thread system was later to be adopted as a British Standard to become British Standard Whitworth.

There is a possibility that what he has Found is a 5/8" Whitworth Thread - as the approximately 55 Degree Pitch of the British Standard Pipe Thread is the same as the Whitworth Thread Pitch - BUT Were / Are British Imperial Pipe Threads in Use in the U.S. - E.G. 5/8" for Plumbing Pipework to a Bath Tap [Faucet] ??

"Regards to All"

CHRISM

Last edited:
"Hello Phishfood",

I had not noticed that they were in Milan - Although Europe has Pipe Sizes that do Not Match very well with what is used in the U.K. - Because the Whitworth Thread is the same 55 Degree Pitch as a British Pipe Thread - I suppose that it is NOT Inconceivable that there is a `European Thread` that matches this 55 Degree Pitch ?

Something that I Remember is that the `British Standard Pipe Thread` was `Universally Adopted` - BUT this could have been when it was First being `Mass Produced` regarding the Threading Equipment - Pipe and Fittings ?? [Mid to Late 1800`s ?] - This Could still be In Use on the Continent of Europe ? - It has `Lasted` here in the U.K. as being the `Best Pipe Thread`available.

Could You Please tell Me - Is the `British Standard Pipe Thread` [55 Degree Pitch] Used in the U.S. - But Called the `United States Standard Pipe Thread` ??

It would be Interesting to Know.

Thanks for Your comment johnjh2o

Regards,

Chris

Back