Tankless Water Heater overloading circuit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinahara

Reaction score
Hello. I just flushed my tankless water heater yesterday and since then have had an issue with the electrical circuit overloading when the water heater runs. We didn't have any issues with this prior to flushing the system. It's not popping the breaker, just popping the GFI outlet for the garage circuit. Any ideas what could be causing this since the flush and how I can fix it? We don't have anything additional plugged in at all, so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! It sounds like the issue might be related to moisture getting into the system during flushing. Sometimes when you flush a tankless water heater, a bit of water or moisture can get into the electrical components, which can cause the GFI outlet to trip. This is a safety feature to prevent electrical hazards.

A few things you could try:

Ensure everything is completely dry around the water heater, especially the electrical connections. You could also check for any signs of water or moisture around the outlet and heater. You might want to reset the GFI outlet and see if it keeps tripping. If it does, it could indicate a deeper issue with the electrical wiring or a possible malfunction inside the water heater. If you're not comfortable checking it yourself or if it keeps happening, it might be a good idea to have an electrician or a plumber take a look.

Hopefully, it's just a minor moisture issue that will resolve once everything is dry.

Hello. I just flushed my tankless water heater yesterday and since then have had an issue with the electrical circuit overloading when the water heater runs. We didn't have any issues with this prior to flushing the system. It's not popping the breaker, just popping the GFI outlet for the garage circuit. Any ideas what could be causing this since the flush and how I can fix it? We don't have anything additional plugged in at all, so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Make sure the unit is grounded.

Replace the gfi outlet that keeps tripping.

The unit is suppose to have its own circuit.

Welp... I took the front panel off and this is what I see:

Attachments

• WH1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • WH2.jpg
    WH2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • WH3.jpg
    WH3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Parts are under warranty, labor is not. That's a lot of scale, do you have hard water?

Parts are under warranty, labor is not. That's a lot of scale, do you have hard water?
I actually have a whole house filtration system (not a softener) that was installed about 2 months after the house was built. Our water isn't hard and it's PH balanced. When I saw that corrosion I was surprised...

Back