Stubborn clog, I've tried everything

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
I have a clog, deep in a drainpipe that I haven't been able to reach with a snake, loosen with a shop vac, or dislodge chemically, with vinegar and baking soda, drain openers or boiling water. The Pipe is PVC and collects from 2 bathroom sinks that are back-to-back, (share a common wall) , one of them having an AC condensate drain. There are other drains that are feeding the same main drain line, up and down stream, which are not affected, which leads me to believe the clog is not in the main drain line, The pipes are in the wall, for about 18" and then enter the concrete foundation. I have removed the P traps and snaked from the fittings entering the wall. I don't know what else to try. Any recommendations?

About 2-3 feet before it starts to twist on itself. Yes, there is a one vent that serves both bathrooms. There is a third sink in one of the bathrooms that is closer to the vent that isn't affected. My next attempt will be to snake from the vent side. I have a small diameter 25' drill snake that should reach.

You maybe sending the snake from one sink to the other put a bend about 4-6 " back,5try snaking then just bump the trigger it should drop down worse comes to worse
You could snake from the vent common to both sinks

I tried snaking the drain from the vent. Unfortunately, the vent serviced all three sinks, one toilet and 1 shower. The vent was positioned at the toilet and the sinks were T'ed off it. When the vent was snaked from above it couldn't find the T to the sink. So, to find the sink vent I cut into the wall right above the sink. Since it is code to run a horizontal vent pipe at 4' above the floor, I cut a 10" x 10" hole, 4' above the floor, centerline on the sink and found it on the first attempt. I cut through the vent pipe and snaked it which cleared the clog. Rather than just mending the pipe with a union, I inserted a clean out and ordered a 12 x12 Plumber's Access panel from Amazon to cover the hole. Now, if I ever have this problem again, I have a quick and easy access to the vent. By the way, the access panel is covered with a framed mirror over the sink and is completely hidden.

I have a clog, deep in a drainpipe that I haven't been able to reach with a snake, loosen with a shop vac, or dislodge chemically, with vinegar and baking soda, drain openers or boiling water. The Pipe is PVC and collects from 2 bathroom sinks that are back-to-back, (share a common wall) , one of them having an AC condensate drain. There are other drains that are feeding the same main drain line, up and down stream, which are not affected, which leads me to believe the clog is not in the main drain line, The pipes are in the wall, for about 18" and then enter the concrete foundation. I have removed the P traps and snaked from the fittings entering the wall. I don't know what else to try. Any recommendations?
When you say you tried everything, what do you mean in terms of snake length? There are 25 foot snakes then there are 50, 75 foot etc. Last year I had the deepest clog in my drain pipe to date. (I'm DIY not pro so I mean for my own home). I had to use nearly the entire 25foot length of the snake before I could feel and tell that I got the clog. You may have to go 50 feet. You may have to enter the drain from a clean out trap outside and work back towards you house, or you may have to work towards the sewer along your lateral. There's so many things you can try. But a professional might be quicker and save you from buying or renting lots of different tools. I used to be upset at the 200 dollar an hour rate but at the end of the day, we are paying for how quickly they can find and solve problems so I think they are worth it now.

Back