Simple repair question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groston

Reaction score
The drain stopper in one of our bathroom sinks stopped working. I looked into it and found that the pivot rod, which was 20+ years old, had eroded and was no longer reaching the stopper. No problem. I contacted Moen and they sent me a new pivot rod. The new rod is slightly different from the old: The old one was a metal rod with a plastic ball, but the new one has a plastic arm extending from the plastic ball (for interfacing with the stopper).

When I installed the new pivot rod, the stopper did not move and I guessed that the issue was that the pivot rod was not contacting the stopper. I felt around inside the spot where the pivot rod connects to the drain pipe and felt a small piece of plastic (like a thick washer with one inside edge beveled). I removed the 'washer' and the stopper moved. Great. However, the stopper would no longer stay closed.

I suspect that the 'washer' provides the friction needed to keep the stopper closed, however, the pivot rod does not extend far enough when the 'washer' is in place. I can think of two possible solutions:
  1. Using sandpaper, make the ‘washer’ thinner.
  2. Add something to the pivot rod plastic end to make it slightly longer.

What would you suggest?

Contact Moen again. They already sent a new stopper lift rod, let them know it doesn't work and they may send a new pop up assembly.

I've found if you loosen the rod cap, it lessens the friction but still won't drip. I'd still call Moen first.

Back