Shower drain leak or pan/base sinking?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luap2003

Reaction score
Have had this issue off and on for about 2 years now. I'm pretty sure the outer lip of the upper drain assembly isn't properly sealed to bottom of the one piece shower base. I'm assuming this is a base/pan combo? There is no access to see below the shower unit.

As you can see by pics, I would like to remove the old drain and either install new (if that can happen) or somehow remove the upper part of the drain assembly and replace a gasket or figure out how to seal the pan to the drain. Basically, per second picture, I believe the leak I have is caused by the pan dropping slightly when in the shower and close to the drain. Water seeps between the lip and the bottom of the shower base.

I caulked it several times (see pic) and it seemed to help, but problem is there yet again and I want to fix it permanently. Water is flowing under the shower base now and out of the brick on side of home...not tons of it, but enough to know probably some mold/mildew going on and some baseboard near shower is wet...

Any help/thoughts greatly appreciated! Is this a DIY project or do I need a pro?

Paul

CIMG0416.jpg

CIMG0419.jpg

To remove the strainer there is a large nut on the bottom of the shower that needs to be removed. Caulking will not help. The strainer needs to be replaced. I wish I had a better solution for you but I don't. If it was just the gasket that was leaking that can be repaired with out replacing the strainer.

John

If the shower base and the flange/lip of the drain are actually separating, then you need to get to the large nut on the bottom of the shower drain. Unfortunately, I know of no way to do this other than opening up access from below or removing the shower base.

Just to add my two cents worth...

The fact that you can see the base move when you stand near the drain is probably what caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks to all for their replies. I confirmed that's where the leak is as it looks like the water has helped remove/washout the substrate of the pan base as well. I'm going to try a "makeshift" fix and attempt to insert a rubber gasket between the bottom flange of drain and the pain while putting weight on the pain next to the drain. We'll see if that helps.

No doubt the whole thing has to come out...gotta love new home builders and cheap materials!

This is a fairly new product for replacement shower drains. I can't say that I have used one but it could be worth a try. If you do use it report back here and let us know how it worked out. You will have to cut the old one out from above. I would use a tool with a cut off wheel and carefully split the strainer without cutting the shower.

John

WingTite Shower Drain- Replace the Drain, Not the Whole Shower

Last edited:
phishfood, it looks like it may work, but the cause for many shower drain leaks is from the shower floors becoming soft. This may fix the symptom but not the cause.

John

I'm looking into the Wingtite unit now. Was actually able to get the drain body to start spinning and am hoping the botton nut is loosening and might fall away from the main ass'y. If so, I can remove the nut and install the Wingtite. No doubt the base was built up from cheap material and the water that's intruded that area has helped to wash away/lower the base level for the pan.

I'll let you know how it goes. Ultimately, base/pan has to come out for a proper fix.

Back