Shower Diverter Not Completely Diverting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevpalm

Reaction score
My upstairs shower recently started to leak. In diagnosing the problem, I determined that the leak was coming from the shower diverter cartridge. The culprit: a worn-out Teflon washer had begun to fail, allowing water to run around the diverter cartridge and into the wall.

I went to our local plumbing supply store and quickly located a replacement washer and spring. I installed the new washer and reassembled the whole shower faucet. When I went to test it, the leak was resolved; but the diverter does not completely divert the water up to the shower. Only about half of the flow is heading north to the shower head, with the rest coming out of the tub spigot.

So now the simple fix has turned into a bigger problem. I'm wondering (1) if replacing the cartridge will resolve the issue, and (2) if anyone can identify the cartridge so I can order and replace it. I've attached images of the cartridge and the assembled shower in the hopes that someone can assist.

Thanks in advance.

Shower Assembly.jpg

Diverter 1.jpg

Diverter 2.jpg

Diverter 3.jpg

I'll be honest with you. If a cartridge is hard to locate, your best solution may be to replace the entire fixture. I know you hate hearing this, and hope by now you have found the needed parts. Let us know the outcome!

Back