Replacing toilet flange and PVC glued in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpswiz

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am replacing the toilet flange and find that the flange is glued in. I watched youtube and saw that it was not that complicated; however, I have a very difficult time removing mine. I already have the chisel and will have to buy a reciprocating saw to cut it. I tried to chisel between the flange and the main pipe but it is not separating as it is strongly glued in. Please see attached pix and give me a few pointers to remove this. I am very desperate to have this done ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20200502_161848.jpg
    20200502_161848.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • 20200502_161854.jpg
    20200502_161854.jpg
    1.8 MB
Are you wanting to remove the glue or the pipe below? It looks like it's either ABS or cast iron (I can't tell which) or is it just very dirty? Looks almost burned if it's PVC.

I would be very cautious using a power saw. It would be very easy to cut too deep. If you get too deep into the hub of the elbow, you’re in a real mess.

I just use a hacksaw blade by hand and cut just through the pipe in two spots then proceed to chisel the pipe out

Be careful that you don't break the hub that the pipe is glued into. If its been in a long time it
could be hard to chisel out. If you want to do it correctly by yourself a 3 or 4" socket saver. Can't
tell the size for sure on the picture. The socket saver will hook up to your drill and then you can shave that pipe
right out of the hub and it will be nice and clean for you to glue the new flange back in.

Thank you for all of your advice. I used the Dremel to cut and the ABS plastic melted. I did not cut below the joint nor break the hub yet. I also tried to test with the chisel to see if it can be pried apart. I don't think this can be pried apart.

It's a 4" ABS flange that glued to a hub. I think I will have to use a hack saw to cut off at the part that joined that pipe and then use a 4" socket saver. I will have to wait a week for this thing to ship. I cannot find it at any local home depot. Sighs.

Last edited:
A properly glued joint (pvc anyway ) should never be able to be pried apart . I have pried several that were not properly glued . In 33 years I never needed one of those drill mounted socket saver . If I saw one in action . I am sure there are several designs . Anybody on here recommend one over another . I like tools >

A properly glued joint (pvc anyway ) should never be able to be pried apart . I have pried several that were not properly glued . In 33 years I never needed one of those drill mounted socket saver . If I saw one in action . I am sure there are several designs . Anybody on here recommend one over another . I like tools >

This is an ABS pipe and it glued together well. I am ordering the pocket saver and it will be here in a couple of days. I will let you know the outcome (although this is will be my first time doing it.)

If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it very much!

You shouldn't have to saw anything more off if you're going to use a socket saver. Just make sure you hold your drill level, and check what you're doing to make sure it's going even, especially once you get to the rim of the hub.

And with ABS, I find it's best to run your drill on low speed. ABS melts more than shaves off like PVC does. The low speed helps it grab more, and gets through it faster. It'll still take a good few minutes to clean it all out.

Latest posts

Back