Replacing soldered stub out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decatur

Reaction score
Long story short, using what I hope is appropriate terminology: the chromed-brass stub-out under my bathroom sink, soldered into what I think is a lead pipe stub into my cast iron waste stack, corroded away (in a 60s-era home.) After some research I realized I had to replace the stub out (no usable pipe left) and I used a blow torch to desolder and remove the entire piece.

I'm left with a 1 1/4" hole into the lead pipe. There was what looked like a small amount of putty behind the main solder joint buffering the brass pipe inside the lead stub (about 3" deep inside the wall line/old solder joint.) I scraped out the "putty" and I'm left with about 3" deep of slightly larger than 1 1/4" (lead?) pipe.

So my question is: what now? Should I clean it out and resolder some kind of metal stub? Or just shove a Fernco donut in it? If so, is there some kind of prep I should do first? I would prefer a reasonably long-term solution.

I'm attaching a pic in case it helps (sorry it was hard to get a good shot.)

photo (2).jpg

There is no way you can make a connection to the lead pipe. You have to remove the threaded bushing that is screwed into the cast iron. Once the bushing is removed then you can thread a PCV male adapter into the cast iron fitting. It should be 1-1/2".

John

I appreciate the feedback John. I spent some more time checking out the lead pipe. It's at least 4 inches deep and it's some kind of elbow. That's tile and cement around the pipe so I'm limited in how much I can see. I simply can't afford to tear up the wall and make the proper fix. Heck even if I did there's no guarantee I could get a replacement in because of the bend. I'll reno this bathroom eventually so I'll save that for then.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a jury rig? The lead pipe has a decent slope on it, so I suppose that helps. I was thinking epoxy. Any suggestions on prep, materials, and/or method?

Back