Replacing a 21 year old electric water heater...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianxponent

Reaction score
Home was built in 1991 and one of two electric water heaters was installed in 2003. The issue with this water heater is that it's in a closet in a room in the finished basement. The room is not regularly used so if it were to leak it could cause significant water damage before it was noticed. The installation has no provision for dealing with a leak, there's not even a pan: the tank rests directly on the carpeted floor of the closet. Currently, I have a wireless moisture sensor on the carpet next to the tank. What I'd like to see with the replacement water heater is, at minimum, a pan put in place. However, I'm wondering is if the new water heater should also be put on a pedestal so that any leaking water could be drained out to a nearby outside window well. I will have a pro do all this but I want to be able to discuss it intelligently with that plumber. So any and all advice and alternate suggestions will be welcome!

If you can raise the water heater such that the pan drain can gravity flow to the outside, that would be great to do. The TPR valve could also be routed to the outside for added assurance of minimizing water damage in the event of it operating.

Get you some solid cement blocks and build a platform.

Then select a short style water heater if it’ll fit in the space so the plumber won’t need to raise the piping.

These ideas might work for you but they might not, I don’t know your job specifics.

Back