REcirculation line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naveen

Reaction score
I have some sort of recirculation line under the house. All the lines are 3/4". It Seems like there are multiple loops. It takes almost 2 minutes to get hot water in Restroom 2. I wanted to install a recirculation pump to get instant hotwater. Looking at the diagram below do you think the recirculation pump will solve my problem.
I have seen the generic diagrams for recirculation pump but mine seems little different.

Image:URL:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5...NjA2Yy00ZjAyLTg1ZWEtMjdiNDRmNDFhNDhj&hl=en_US

Before purchasing my tankless water heater with the built in recirc-pump, I installed one of the recirc-pumps found at Costco, and it worked great.

How does a recirc-pump work with a tankless system? It seems to me that the water would come back cold and fire the tankless heater up all the time. Do you also use a small (5 gal) traditional water heater or do the tankless have a small tank built-in for recirculating system?

My TWH has a 1 gallon hot water reserve, and a wired control panel. I can set it to any 1/2 hour increment, and when the time comes, it will fire up and heat the hot water lines in a complete circulation until it reaches the optimum temperature. When I was working, it was great to set it for shower time, and there was no waiting and wasting water until the lines got hot. I have written a few threads regarding this TWH in here, if you'd like to peruse the Water heater section.

Recently I misread a few question but this time I don't see where he said anything about tankless WH. :confused:

If the diagram is right try this. cut the line where it goes acroos to the kitchen. eliminate the hatched out line . Red line will be the hot loop

our-house-HotWaterLines_modified_080611 (1024x694).jpg

Last edited:
Dave, you are correct. I was attempting to explain what I did for circulation prior to the TWH installation. Here is the Grundfos pump I had installed at my house. Sorry for the confusion!

grundfos.jpg

Those are nice. Good alternative if you can't run a desiginated loop.

My TWH has a 1 gallon hot water reserve, and a wired control panel. I can set it to any 1/2 hour increment, and when the time comes, it will fire up and heat the hot water lines in a complete circulation until it reaches the optimum temperature. When I was working, it was great to set it for shower time, and there was no waiting and wasting water until the lines got hot. I have written a few threads regarding this TWH in here, if you'd like to peruse the Water heater section.

havasu: That's very interesting I wasn't aware that tankless heaters were available with one gal tanks. One of my original concerns with tankless was you couldn't have a re-cir line with one. Could you either PM me a link to the manufacture? (or post it here)

Thanks John

Back