Proflo vs. Brasscraft vs. Dahl

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha Mark

Reaction score
My daughter is going to take possession of a house in HI in a few weeks. Nearly every shutoff valve leaks in the open position. The original owners seem to have used the cheap multiturn shutoff valves from Home Depot, in its earlier days. Our local Ferguson's Plumbing Supply only stocks Proflo and Brasscraft. I prefer Dahl valves but they only stock them in Seattle. If we need to hire a licensed plumber to do the job of replacing nine or more valves, would it be too forward to ask them which brand they carry, or just give them Dahl valves from my personal stock? The reason I would hesitate to do nine changes in a given day is the fear of running into a pesky compression sleeve that resists removal with an Olive, Old English, etc., removal tool. There are probably enough nightmare stories of tools breaking or not working for non-professionals, that most people would just keep putting off the job. (One plumber at Ferguson's admitted that he does not even carry a removal tool). A second question involves the diameters of the faucet supply hoses. 3/8" OD is one of the usual standards, but Delta seems to use 1/2" OD connectors in a few models. Good valves are costly, so ordering the wrong part is another excuse for not planning this out sooner.

Let the plumber supply the valve. This way you have a warranty.

Scenario: You supply the valve and the plumber installs it. A month later the valve leaks out of the stem.

That’s not the plumbers valve, you supplied it so don’t get warranty service. You get to pay again to have it replaced and you would only save a few dollars if you can even find a plumber to install your stop valves.

Last edited:
We never routinely pull the ferrule when swapping compression stops.
Never had a problem doing it that way, and sure we owned (own) ferrule pullers but the chances of the stub having been deformed by over-tightening the nut tips the scale for my money.

Let the plumber supply the valve. This way you have a warranty.

Scenario: You supply the valve and the plumber installs it. A month later the valve leaks out of the stem.

That’s not the plumbers valve, you supplied it so don’t get warranty service. You get to pay again to have it replaced and you would only save a few dollars if you can even find a plumber to install your stop valves.
Is ProFlo a good brand? It seems to be made in Taiwan.

Back