Problem removing escutcheon cap from Aquarian 4201

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neveser

Reaction score
My kitchen faucet is leaking. It's an old American Standard Aquarian model faucet on one of those fiesta bowl sinks. I just wanted to junk the whole thing and replace it with a new faucet and stainless steel sink but my wife hates stainless steel sinks. So anyway I ordered a replacement cartridge for the faucet. Cost me about $30 after shipping and I can't get the escutcheon cap off to install the cartridge. I can't really find much online as it is an old line that has been since replaced. I thought I would ask here as I have found some useful information here in the past.

Here's an exploded view of the faucet, about a third of the way down.

http://www.plumbingspecialties.com/downloads/AcorntoAS.pdf

the link crashed my computer, so without having seen it.

try using a utility knife, get it just under the escushion and then give it a twist. most older models are just inserted into the top of the faucet like a plug.

this assumes it is a double handled faucet. if single then you will need an allen key.

sorry to not be able to be of more help. they often crud up and are a little difficult to remove after some time has passed.

the link crashed my computer, so without having seen it.

try using a utility knife, get it just under the escushion and then give it a twist. most older models are just inserted into the top of the faucet like a plug.

this assumes it is a double handled faucet. if single then you will need an allen key.

sorry to not be able to be of more help. they often crud up and are a little difficult to remove after some time has passed.

Thanks for the reply and sorry about the crash.

It seems like it should pop off, but it won't budge. I don't think it's threaded either. And yes, it is pretty crudded up. It's got to be 30 years old or so. Maybe I'll try the utility knife.

Here's the pic from that pdf that gave you the issue -

Aquarian.jpg

I thought maybe the screw (5) was holding it down but after removing the handle, I can see there's no way to get that screw out without removing the cap.

with the handle removed ( remove the allen key set screw ) it SHOULD just pop off.
try lubing it up with some olive oil, drip some drops down from the top.

these things should come right off but sometimes require more force than one would ideally like to use, I broke a similar fixture trying to get the escusion off and after breaking it i thought I was surely in the wrong, but further inspection revealed that It was simplly Crudded on like super glue.

Try a little liquid wrench or some type of pentrating oil.
The cap maybe screwed on to the main valve body assembly
Try using a strap wrench to turn it off.
I don't see any screws holding the cartrige in place so the cap must be screwed on to hold the cartridge in place.

Davis #5 is the cartridge screw. The cap should just pull off. Some times that's easier said then done. Try some CLR that may dissolve the crud holding it in place.

John

Davis #5 is the cartridge screw. The cap should just pull off. Some times that's easier said then done. Try some CLR that may dissolve the crud holding it in place.

John

:eek:Oh that screw.:cool:
It does say cartridge screw on the parts list.

sBo_grab.gif

Okay time for me to quit.
I'm gonna go get ready to go out.
Sushi @ Kip's tonight. Maybe get some fresh Sea Urchin Uni

OK, sorry for late reply. Been busy.

I got the cap off. Put some veggie oil on it overnight and used a utility knife on it to clear away some of the crud. Turns out the cap is threaded!

I replaced the cartridge and it's still leaking about the same as before. I guess the problem is deeper inside the fixture...

*sigh*

sounds like you'd be better off spending the 100 bucks on a new set of taps.

Yep, you're right.

Wife wanted to keep that sink because it's porcelain. I just wanted to replace the whole thing with a new faucet and stainless steel sink but she hates stainless steel sinks.

I looked for a replacement faucet but since they're old and have been replaced by a new model they cost a lot. The sink is this horrible color too. It's like an off yellow.

I think I may win this one. Don't know yet, we haven't decided what we're going to do. I certainly don't like replacing sinks and faucets. I'm not a pro but this is going to have to be done.

I have the same faucet and have replaced the cartridge several times over the last 30 years. Neveser, did you forget to get new cartridge seals?

The cartridge I replaced several years ago is still working properly but now the belly of the spout has developed some small holes and leaking from there. Because the faucet assembly is mounted on the raised part of the sink, none of the plumbers I called know where to find a replacement faucet or substitute assembly. I went online and found most parts except the spout itself or the whole assembly.

Anyone knows where to get replacement parts or the whole faucet assembly or a substitute assembly?

024.jpg

The cartridge came with 3 rings. So I guess that would be the seals.

It's not leaking as bad but it's days are numbered. I need to get a new garbage disposal and the sink is this ugly yellow color so I want to replace the whole mess - sink, faucet, garbage disposal. I don't know when I'll get around to it. I hate doing this stuff. I just did the sink and faucet in the bathroom so I'm a little burnt on plumbing right now.

I got my part from Kullysupply.com - You may want to try there and see if the have the spout. Looks like you have the same Fiesta Bowl thing going on over there too.

Found a replacement faucet at Tapco (Pittsburgh, PA). It's the American Standard Fiesta 4201 Series. Installed it and all is well now; should be good for another 20 years!!

$210 for the faucet including the extended hose shower and the base cap plus shipping and tax it came up to be $240. Very expensive for an old tap like that but much cheaper than changing the tub and the faucet, and possibly the whole counter tiles.

That doesn't sound like a bad price considering the alternative. Thanks for letting us know that you have solved the dilemma. Please post up a picture of the finished project!

Back