Price Pfister Shower Trim Kit in RV

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsdw

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me because PF sure cannot. What they told me just doesn't make any sense to me. So I have a weird application - a very large RV with a residential corner shower. The shower trim looks really bad so I purchased a new trim kit from PF. The shower valve is ~18 years old, but I was able to get a new cartridge (9740420) and a new trim kit (PF Weller Trim Kit). The shower valve is held to the fiberglass shower with a custom bracket. So it all went together with no issues, but here is a strange problem. Even though the cartridge and faceplate are very rigid, when I install the handle on the plastic stem on the cartridge - the handle is anything but "rigid". It moves around some when turned and that bothers me. The guy at PF said "yea, that can happen with older shower valves", but I don't really see how that plays into it. It seems like it's either the keyed fit to the handle or the stem of the cartridge itself has movement. I could shim the valve body back into the wall more, but I don't see what that would help. Just as an aside, there is re ally no good way to change the valve without tearing out wallboard that is not available anymore.

Any fixes I can try from you experienced fellas?

I assume you’re using “ PF “ for Price Pfister ?

Please post a pic of the faucet and trim

Correct. Here you go!

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    896.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    780.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
When I move the handle to start the shower it is not rigid. It "wobbles" on the plastic shaft of the shower valve. I think I am stuck with it that way, but Ive never had one that moved around like this one. Mind you it's not wobbling all over the place, just feels different. I don't think it's moving on the shaft, I think the shower valve shaft is moving.

The only reason I posted here is because of the PF rep saying that happens with older valves. I don't see how that comes into it at all, but if there is a fix for that I would like to know what it is. I thought about shimming the shower valve further back, but I don't think that would change anything.

You’ll just need to review how the handle is installed and make sure you’re installing it correctly.

That’s all you can do. Pfister is bottom tier.

I know that, but I was stuck because I couldn't change the valve body.

What's the inside of the handle look like? Where the stem would go. Some need a screw on adapter.

This one is just a socket with a double key (I guess so you can flip it) that fits snugly on the valve stem.

You earlier posted photos of your old trim. Is the old handle wobbly with the new cartridge?

Did you ever try carefully polishing the old trim and handle with a product like Barkeeper's Friend? It does a good job on stains on metal.

Honestly, I'm thinking you are feeling the plastic stem extension when you rotate the handle. After awhile, you won't even notice it. Short of finding a solid metal extension, this is the way of the world with cost cutting around the world.

I know you just changed the cartridge, but you could try the 974-5299. It has the double keyhole and may feel more sturdy.

Back