Pressure Balance Valve and Volume valve in Series

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimHomeowner55

Reaction score
Hi Guys, hoping for a little advice.

In my shower, my plumber installed a pressure balance valve (Kohler 304) with a volume control valve (Kohler 681) downstream (because I asked for separate temperature and volume controls).

I've since been told that the pressure balance valve is not designed to handle the back pressure created when the volume control is either closed or partially closed. A thermostatic valve would have been a better option instead of the pressure balance valve.

Am I going to have a problem with the current setup?

Appreciate any advice you guys could give. Many thanks.

Not to familair with this set up but here is my logical response.
Double check with the manufactures installation instruction.
I would think the Volume control valve would be installed upstream before the temperture control or a pressure balance valve.
A balance valve has cylinders that move freely according to the flow of water . IF the hot or cold has more pressure the cylinders will adjust to keep the pressure even. When you adjust the temperature you are adjusting the volume of hot vs cold. If a toilet flushes nearby and the cold pressure drops. The balance cylinders automaticly adjust so you don't get that spike of hot water.

Check out this link I found . maybe it will help

http://understanding-the-shower-valve
Don't know why this link does not work.
You can copy , then Ctrl O (open file) and Paste. Works fine.
Same link works fine from my history list.:confused:

Last edited:
Thank you Mr David for getting back to me.

Kohler documentation says not to use the pressure balance valve with any shutoffs downstream. So I probably should just change the setup based on that alone.

The article was pretty helpful. It seems to support the above logic. Below is a different link to the same article (couldn't get the first link to work).

(add www.)
suite101.com/content/understanding-the-shower-valve-a194949

Thanks again for the response, it was very helpful.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer for the question, but I DO find the question interesting.

I have installed Moen ExactTemp valve systems. In this system, the temperature control and the pressure balance valve is (if I recall correctly) included in the same valve body. The output(s) from that is/are directed to separate and (if you choose) multiple volume control valves. So you can "set and forget' the temperature adjustment, and then use any of the volume controls to send an adjustable amount of water to any shower outlet that you choose. The volume controls also act as shutoff valves, so you can leave the temperature set just the way you like it, and use the volume controls to shut the shower off. Really interesting system.

Anyway, off to read Mr. David's link.

:confused:Trying to get this link to work

Understanding the Shower Valve: Choosing Between a Thermostatic and Pressure Balancing Valve | Suite101.com

http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?site=www.plumbingforums.com&url= ..... Understanding the Shower Valve: Choosing Between a Thermostatic and Pressure Balancing Valve | Suite101.com

I can't seem to get rid of or loose this part of the link http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?site=www.plumbingforums.com&url=

Understanding the Shower Valve: Choosing Between a Thermostatic and Pressure Balancing Valve | Suite101.com

If I copy and paste the link that does work the annoying part is still there.:confused:

If I edit my post, the annoying part is not in the text but if I right click on it and check the properties it's still there. I've sent a PM to Austin.

Does anyone else have a problem with this link. It's one of those none important things that is just driving nuts

Last edited:
Back