Plumbing Camera Video Analysis

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenik

Reaction score
The plumbing video guy came out today and I have uploaded the video to youtube.

He said the problem could be where the riser comes up from the city main. He said it could be crushed. I'd like your guys opinion as well.

Here's the you tube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYr95VNUh6Q]‪2011 07 21 10 00 09‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks!

Would that cause it to back up like it has been? I'm assuming belly means area lower than the rest of the pipe?
I should also mention at the end of the pipe he had a hard time jamming the camera through. It seemed as if it were harder to push through where all the water was backed up at.

My first impression was a belly in the pipe also. I would have spent more time going back and forth through the area though too just to verify.

I agree with Ace. I would have set camera at spot he was having difficulty with and then let the water run until it cleared up to get a better look.
But what's done is done.

Weather or not it's seperated or just a belly, the only way to correct it is to dig it up.
Could be that screw driver that Ajay dropped into open drain stack.

belly in sewer pipe.jpg

I have dug 5 feet down in 100 degree weather in Oklahoma. I finally hit pipe and there is muddy sewer water all around. I am so heat exhausted that I haven't investigated further (until later tonight), but I'm assuming a belly wouldn't cause all the water around the pipe, so it's probably a break?

Is that a correct assumption?

That would be a very good assumption.
You should put in some shoring so the sidewalls don't collapse in on you.
some plywood and some bracing just to be safe.

I'll show you picture of my hole if you show me yours.

All I have to say is that you guys are good. There is a belly!, my pipe is coming out and it looks as if it has lowered or the main has raised.

My pipe is coming out lower than the main, but the connector that connects mine to the main has a crack. I'm thinking this isn't a job I'm going to be able to complete on my own now. sigh.

I'm not good at explaining, let me draw a picture and attach. Is this something you think I could fix on my own?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yeah you can fix it.
Dig down below the fitting that connects the horizontal to the green vertical riser.
If you don't want to attempt it call a pro. you already did all the hard work.
If it's exposed enough a pro should probably be able to repair it in about an hour or 2 .

Thanks, I'm going to attempt to clear more area out tomorrow morning and see if I can fix it. I'll dig down to the riser and cut the riser and then cut the pipe coming out of my house... then re-connect with a better 45 connector that isn't cracked, thus removing the belly. Correct?

Any tips on what glue/tools to use when connecting two pipes?

The green vertical riser id SDR. The fittings for this have a neoprene seal in the fitting. Dont cut the riser off yet. just pull the fitting off. to install a new one you have to put a pretty good sized bevel on the pipe and with a special lubricant you push the new one on.
Go a google search for videos and images of SDR pipe

Mr David, Thanks for all of the help. I have dug a lot more out today and cleaned the pipe off with a garden hose.

The pipe was smashed, and guess what was inside??? A 6 inch long 1/2 inch water hose from construction.

However, I don't know what to do to fix it at this point, so I took a great picture. Maybe I could get some advice? Should I call the city to fix this since it's off of their riser, or is it my responsibility?

I hope you can see how the 45 degree connector is going uphill, making a belly in the pipe.

Last edited:
Either the vertical pipe that comes up off of the main has to be cut down lower, or the line coming from your house has to be raised up so that the section between the broken fitting and the long sweep 1/4 bend will have drop on it.

If I were doing the repair, I would cut the line coming from your house back so that a 45 ell would turn and head directly to the riser from the main, and then use a sanitary tee or combination wye and 45 (preferably) to attach to the riser. Out of the top of the sanitary tee or combination add a pipe up to grade and install a cleanout.

This is 30 feet from the cleanout beside the walls of my house. What would be the need for an additional cleanout near the sewer main?

I did say if ya show me your hole I'll show you mine.:D

hand-dug-12-deep-sewer-repair-

Like Phish said. I'd dig back the horizontal line and replace the 1st 90 with a 45.
You are going to have to dig down around the vertical.
You can make a temporary repair. Cut off the reducer and with out gluing the new pipe and fittings replace the 2 90's and just set the end of the second 90 into the riser. That will give you use of the sewer again and maybe that mud hole can dry out while you gather some more info on fixing it permanently

Some cities/counties require a cleanout at the connection to their main. With a cleanout there, in the event of future backups, you can quickly localize the area that the clog is in. The less turns that a drain snake has to make before it reaches the clog, the easier it is to clear the clog. If you just don't want or can't have a cleanout right there, and you aren't getting the repair inspected, you don't NEED a cleanout there. But it is better if you do add one in.

On a side note; Unless you have already removed all of the gravel, there should have been tamped 2b or smaller limestone/shot gravel for proper support. In the past year, I have dug up 3 collapsed sewers (PVC) from new construction plans that were back-filled with just dirt. These homes were all less than 2 years old and one was only 6 months old.
Do as Phish recommended. Having a tee or a wye-combo is usually a requirement for changes of direction from horizontal to vertical (with a clean out). This allows additional access for cleaning and for inspecting the sewer. You could only benefit from having it installed, since it's already exposed.

Back