Please help, attempting to install new bathroom sink drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustafu

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to replace by bathroom sink drain, because I picked up a new faucet that included one with a new pop-up stopper, the old one isn't working anymore. The new faucet is already installed. I have removed the trap under the sink, and I'm trying to remove the big nut for the drain under the sink, but the whole drain keeps twisting. Am I supposed to hold it somehow? I briefly tried taking a hacksaw to it, but it doesn't seem to be cutting through very well. Any help or insight appreciated. Thank you :D

By "big nut" do you mean the person trying to fix the drain?? If you remove that then who will fix it?? Or do you mean that other nut? It does often seem like working on plumbing require three or even four hands.

I don't know the technical name for the part, but there is usually also the part of the pop-up assembly that you see inside the sink, that usually shiny ring. That also has to be removed. But find a way to grip the entire thing without destroying it, or chewing it up. If it is metal, stick a screwdriver into the hole where the little rod comes out that makes the stopper go up and down. That will hold it from turning. Then put a big wrench or channel lock pliers on the 'big nut'. Once that is off, then hold the 'shiny ring' in place by pushing down very hard on it while you unscrew the pop-up assembly from below.

I hope this helps and wasn't too technical! :p

Thank you, it was helpful! I've been able to turn the nut with limited success, but it looks like it's going to take all day if I go that route :( I was thinking of cutting above the nut with a hacksaw, would this possibly work?

Yes, if you can get in there with a saw, then go for it. It may save you a lot of time.

Yes, cutting with a hacksaw should work but might take a long time.

I wasn't fully awake when I responded earlier. You're replacing the pop-up, right? If so then damaging it won't matter.

If I was try to remove it I would first spray some "Break Free" or other such substance on the threads, then grip the nut firmly with wrench, channel lock pliers or even ViceGrip, if you have one that size. Then grab the body of the popup with another set of channel lock pliers or best yet, another set of ViceGrips as you can lock them on. Then instead of turning the nut, turn the body as it might be easier to do than turning nut as you might lose grip on nut.

Well, screwed up on this one :mad: The sink is now cracked.

What should I do from here? Is a repair possible, or is replacement a better option? What sinks can it be replaced with? Thanks in advance

5933466725_479ac78823_z.jpg

5933466675_c77dc1c884_z.jpg

Oh that totally sucks.

I don't know if that can be repaired or not. You may have to buy a new sink and finding something to drop into that top may be impossible. Might have to replace with one piece sinktop. And then if the vanity is old enough you might end up replacing the vanity as newer sink tops won't fit.

Since that is a very old style sink, you might have a heck of a time finding a perfect match. As Ajay said, it may be time to upgrade. It will look nicer, improve your property value, and modernize your bathroom. If this is not possible, I would look for a local Habitat for Humanity Re-store or a appliance antique or a recycling center specializing in home appliances, tubs and sinks.

So that others can learn from your experience, could you explain how you cracked the porcelain?

So that others can learn from your experience, could you explain how you cracked the porcelain?

I gave the top nut a good thumping out of frustration and out of hoping it would knock it loose a bit with a pipe wrench. :eek: Stupid mistake, but I gave in to anger...I just don't understand how something this simple can be so difficult. But if the sink is as old as you say it is, then the faucet and stopper probably were too. I had to practically destroy the old faucet with a hammer before I could replace that.

If I were a homeowner, I would definitely use this opportunity to upgrade. But this is just a rental that I'm living in while I look for a house, so I don't want to sink a ton of money into it.

Still working on my many problems now, this section of pipe being one of them. I have removed the nut, but it still won't budge. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance :D

P1040504.JPG

Hmmmm. Got a torch? Maybe if you heat up the outside pipe it will expand and you can pull out old one. Is the threaded pipe galvanized steel?

eat your wheaties weenie arms!
and have you applied the same method you used on the sink pop-up assembly? :p

if neither works, i'd hack saw it off a half inch or so from the threads of that nipple... then use a sawzall blade (just the blade in hand) or the hacksaw blade alone and cut from the inside out. obviously not going far enough to cut the nipple, but enough to cut through the waste arm... and then just peal it out with the help of some needle nose pliers and a small flat head screw driver

Back