Pipes are "vibrating"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashmaster

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here on the Forum. I have a little problem at home, I will try not to ramble to much. I recently installed a water softener in my house but have had issues ever since. It seems when ever there are more than 2 faucets in use I know get some pretty loud humming and vibrating coming from the main water line entering the house. This is most noticeable after I flush the toilet and then turn the faucet on while the toilet is filling up. After the toilet fills up the noise will stop. But it doesn't have to be the toilet and a faucet. If the washing machine is filling up and a faucet it turned on, the same thing happens. Any help you guys could give would be great!

Hi David, Thanks for the response. I did search the forum previously but didn't find anything that was quite like what I have going on. I will definitely tinker with the toilet when I get home and let you know. This humming noise also occurs when one of the outside faucets is turned on by itself.

That video I made is unusually loud but is very common with ballcock type toilet fill valves. Some times opening a faucet is just enough pressure change to cause the ballcock to vibrating. This type of vibration is often heard in other parts of the system an not usually noticed at the toilet. It causes a resonating vibration in the system that will travel to copper piping and cause that piping to vibrate like a violin string in other parts of the house.

If that is not the cause the second most likely thing is the pressure reducing valve.

Let us know if you solve it.

Also, could be a vacuum breaker on a hose bib.

You are correct. If something is attached to the hose bid and the hose bid is open. Another possibility is automatic sprinkler valves.

Back