Oversized 1/2 copper on hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50ae

Reaction score
I am replacing my bathtub and faucets in my bathroom. My house was built in 1986 and the hot water piping is slightly bigger than the standard 1/2 copper. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I have enclosed a picture of both of the cut off ends so you gurus can help out.

piping.jpg

??? Do you have a Caliper you can measure the O.D. of both pipes.
That is Odd. What is the difference?

.625 on the small and .645 on the large one. So not much but more than enough to be a pain in my rear. This was found on the hot water taps in two different spots in the same bathroom.

You might have 11/16" pipe. The fittings haven't been available for years. Is it soft copper? If so, you may need to swage it and sweat new pipe into it or just replace all of the 11/16".

That is odd. Opps. I already said that.
That is less than 1/32" difference.
Caduceus has a good solution. swage the over sized pipe and solder in a new pc.

Had to check the spelling on that and it was not in my Websters Dictionary ( paper edition). ?????
Had to go find it in an old plumbing code book glossary.

Last edited:
Yeah, when people come across it there is usually a lot of head scratching...the same as when I first found some. I believe the ID is 11/16" and the OD is 13/16". Too small for a 3/4" fitting, too big for a 1/2".

Back