Old Shower faucet handle ID

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambello

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to replace the stems in our shower. Our house is from 1940 so the parts are old. I went to the local supply house to replace the stems but could not find the part. To help narrow down my search, the man at the counter said I need to find the manufacturer of the faucet. I'm wondering if anyone could ID these cross handles. It's possible they could be American Standard, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

SSPX0903.jpg

SSPX0901.jpg

Thanks John,

I didn't realize I could rebuild the old ones - I would be glad to tackle this job...Any help getting started would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've replaced the washers before. The problem now is that the brass threads are badly worn. I did visit the supply house and they looked through lots of books for a replacement stem. They told me if I could tell them the name of the manufacturer it would help them find the correct part. There are no visible marks or labels that indicate the maker.

Can you pop out the stem and take a picture? The front of the handles really don't tell us a lot in this case since they aren't terribly unique.

Here is a photo of the stem. You can see that the brass threads are almost flat (it's been in use for 70 years).

DSCN4304.jpg

DSCN4302.jpg

Hrm, nothing comes directly to mind. The odd little double broach is really throwing me off, since the only company I have seen with that is Savoy but all of their stems are quite a bit shorter.

How many splines are there? (Those little bumps around the end) It looks like 18 but I could be wrong.

There are 20. In my search I've only see one stem with a double broach. Very frustrating, but I appreciate your help!

American Standard Re-Nu
google it and you will find parts

The threads of the stem don't seem to work with the bonnet that was removed.
That was my clue and I then confirmed my suspensions
The barrel is still in the valve body.
Use the stem with out the bonnet to pull out the barrel.

Must have just missed you I was working on this one for the last 10 or 15 minutes.
I was having trouble with a link again

Thanks Mr. David. So, there's a barrel inside the housing that just pops out and is part of the entire stem assembly? I thought the housing was plumbed into the copper pipe and the threads that receive the brass threads on the stem were part of that housing. So, I buy the Re-Nu stem (that comes a new barrel), remove the old barrel, pop it the new one and call it good? Thanks for your help.

Hrm, the lack of barrel has thrown me off here. That, and the odd double broach. i pulled a re-nu off the shelf and it doesn't look that much like this piece, but that is probably because Cambello's is so old.

I'm going to pull the stem out and have a good look at the housing to see if there is a barrel in there. I'll take a photo and post it. I really appreciate you guys staying with me on this.

I went to a local supply house, with stem in hand. The man at the counter found this....Savoy 23-0002. I placed an order and should have it later in the week. Hope it works.

KISS-23-0002-2.jpg

Hah, I'm not crazy then!

Well...ok maybe I am, but I also happened tobe on the right track.

Back