Notes on cleaning sediment from a gas water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
generally that white stuff is zinc and magnesium oxides that have fallen off the anodes as they work. FWIW the warranty difference between different water heaters in the same line is usually the number of anodes they put in the water heater. Once that anode is eaten away, the water heater begins to deteriorate much quicker. One can just hook a garden hose up to the drain, and let it flow until the white stuff stops. Lots of lengthy discussions and specs on different types of anodes for different quality waters. Also - any time the water heater is opened up, there is usually a spec from the manufacturer on how to sterilize the inside. Legionnaire's disease can happen if it gets contaminated and the temperature is too low. Anyone who has visited a volcanic park knows that water can grow lots of bacteria even though it is very hot. Undersea vents have life in their flow near where the water is almost 600F.

Turning the water heater up to 140° kills legionella bacteria almost instantly.

Notes on today's flush of the same heater.

It was first power flushed for about ten minutes, which deposited about two quarts of (hydrated) sediment in the collecting pool. Then the T&P valve was removed and the PEX sprayer inserted. It worked well for a while and then the hose jammed. I believe the mistake was in not keeping enough water in the tank at all times. If the pressure is too low there isn't enough flow always to prevent sediment from piling up at any sort of restriction. Unfortunately we cannot easily see into the tank to assay the water level. After clearing the blockage (at the junction of the drain and garden hose) water was added to the tank through the cold water inlet in bursts until the flow out of the hose was "substantial" (much more than a dribble, but nowhere near the flow from a faucet) and then the sprayer was run 10 seconds each minute, which broke loose sediment, and that flow was maintained for 30 minutes. A few extra squirts were needed from time to time when the rate decreased.

What I really need is a clear bit of hose or pipe right at the WH drain to see if sediment is still going by, and how fast it is moving.

After all of this flushing the tank was inspected with a Tesslong borescope which has both forward and sideways cameras, and associated LEDs to provide light. The sideways camera showed that the anode was still in good shape. When it was lowered all the way to the bottom of the tank it showed that the "dome" had a thin crust of white crystals. That wasn't evident when it had been viewed from above.

One gallon of 5% acetic acid (from Smart and Final) was poured into the empty WH and allowed to sit for 5 hours. When it was drained the pH of the fluid in the bucket was roughly 6 and a substantial amount of gas pressure had accumulated (the T&P valve had been reinstalled during the soak, and no hot water valves were open.) 5% acetic acid is about .83 M and has a pH of 2.4, but pH 6 corresponds to 1 microM. So even after all of that flushing there was still around 3.3 moles (4 x .83) of "something" in the tank which had reacted with virtually all of the acetic acid. Calcium carbonate has a MW of 100 g/mol, so if that was the only material, there was at least 330g (.72 pounds) of unflushed sediment. There was also some rust and other material coming out though. The rust would have reacted to form iron (III) acetate, which isn't soluble (and no gas is generated).

When the WH was refilled and restarted it did not bump. Previously (see prior posts) flushes without a vinegar step resulted in a WH that did bump. But removing all the sediment using just vinegar might take a very large amount, since at least 3 quarts of hydrated sediment had already been removed from this WH before the vinegar went in.

When the WH was refilled and restarted it did not bump. Previously (see prior posts) flushes without a vinegar step resulted in a WH that did bump. But removing all the sediment using just vinegar might take a very large amount, since at least 3 quarts of hydrated sediment had already been removed from this WH before the vinegar went in.
@pasadena_commut , sorry for being confused but what do you mean by the WH "bumped"?

I'm thinking typo - maybe "burp"? No, i think what he is referring to is the kabump noise that WHs make when they have sediment in them. Reminds me, I need to flush both of mine and check the anodes.

A few years ago, I could get a new water heater installed in the Atlanta area for less than $1k. Now, they are up to 2.5k so they offer rental programs now. It's ridiculous. Maintenance is more important than ever.

Last edited:
I'm thinking typo - maybe "burp"? No, i think what he is referring to is the kabump noise that WHs make when they have sediment in them. Reminds me, I need to flush both of mine and check the anodes.

A few years ago, I could get a new water heater installed in the Atlanta area for less than $1k. Now, they are up to 2.5k so they offer rental programs now. It's ridiculous. Maintenance is more important than ever.
Rental programs? Our last one was right at around $2,200 so I can see how that makes sense! The older I get the more I want to sell out and live in some sort of a community or commune where all the maintenance is covered. Maybe a kibbutz.

You're probably correct on the typo.

Yup, for water heaters, HVAC, etc. It's the new model, don't you know? I'd downsize in a heartbeat, but I LOVE my backyard (3/4 acre where I'm at is treasured. House was built in 1989. All the newer homes are sitting on postage stamps. Then there is simply the space we have. 3900 sq. ft. And it's usable space - 6 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, and a kitchen that when I expand the table will sit 16 people. I'm at 11 grown children, 12 grand children, 6 children in-laws, 5 great grand children and 2 in-laws up the street. When we have gatherings, it gets stupid :)

Toss in the fact that my wife is a crafter. She has a serger, a sewing machine, a quilting machine and a large cutting table. Every time we think about it, we just stop. I'm sitting on a 15 year 2% mortgage, so my payment is less than a 1 bedroom apartment's rent where I'm at.

Latest posts

Back