no hot water only cold in bathroom shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtOfShred87

Reaction score
i dont know much about plumbing, and have never really done anything other than fixing a shower faucet. i believe there is a leak in my kitchen causing the problem but i want to completly ignore that for now, the whole kitchen is going to be remodeled so is it possible for me to run some pipe straight from the water heater to the bathroom? does that sound about right or might i be missing something? i have included a paint diagram of my house, its not great but you should get the point. and its a gas water heater btw, just incase it matters. any help or tips would be great thanks!

house diagram.jpg

Thanks for the drawing. It's not much help but does put a little insight as to how your set up.
Your problem is unclear.
Do you have Hot and cold water at all your sinks but only cold at the shower?
If so the next question is what type of shower valve do you have. Can you take and post a picture of it.
That just might be the problem. Sometime the presurre balance spool in a single handle valve gets stuck.
Are you on a concrete slab or a raised floor with a crawl space or basement below?
Just the one bathroom and kitchen? Do yo have a laundry rm?

the water comes out very little in the kitchen sink , the washer and dryer were in the kitchen but like i said it is going to be remodled so everything has been removed. the piping and everything is underneath the house, no basement. its a two handle shower and bath , it is fairly new maybe like six months, and was working fine up until about a month ago the hot water started coming out less and less. the picture i included is somewhat similar to what my bathtub and shower look like except im not sure about the parts labeled "p trap" and "emergeny shut off" i dont know if my tub even has that.i believe that the pipes go from my the water heater to the kitchen then to the bathroom, not exactly 100% on that this house look like its had alot of half ass work done.

Bathtub-Shower.jpg

What about the hot at the sink in the bathroom? Is there plenty of water there? Does your meter spin even when there is no water being used?

Just trying to make sure that you actually have a leak before advising you on how to fix it.

bathroom sink is the same cold water works fine hot comes out very little. the meter does not spin when water is not being used.

Last edited:
OK, if the meter does not spin when no water is being used, then a leak is not the cause of the problem.

If I were trouble shooting this problem, I would start by shutting off the hot supply stop under one of the sinks, and then undoing the nut that attaches the supply tube to the faucet. Take that off, and attach a new supply to the stop valve only. Hold the other end of the supply tube in a bucket, and turn the stop valve on fully. If you have good pressure there, then the problem is a sediment buildup in all of the faucets. If the pressure is poor, then the most likely culprit is a mineral buildup in the hot out on the water heater itself.

Back