New shower keeps dripping every 10-30 seconds

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorairo

Reaction score
I finished the plumbing for my new shower. I temporarily screwed in the chrome elbow with teflon (no shower head - just a bucket to catch the water) just to test and make sure there are no leaks around the copper fittings.

I ran the shower for about a minute and after turning it off, it keeps dripping every 10-30 seconds or so. It's been doing this for 15 minutes so far. I'm used to seeing this extra dripping maybe 5 minutes after a shower in most other bathrooms, but it doesn't keep repeating like this one does.

Is this normal? Is it because the shower head isn't installed, which might accumulate the "dripping" somewhat until it's full?

I can only use a wrench to turn the handle right now, but it's where it should be when shut.

Thanks for reading! :)

Sorairo

Still dripping every 20 seconds or so and it's been well over an hour. I'm starting to wonder if capping the bath spout for shower-only "mode" was a good idea - the instructions didn't say anything (just pictures)...

Here's a picture of the plumbing:

199-shower.jpg

Nothing wrong with capping a Moen PosiTemp tub drop to make a shower only valve. I have done that countless times.

Moen valves are not known for dripping when shut off, in fact, I don't ever remember seeing one do that.

Shut the water off, relieve the pressure. Then use a pair of pliers to pull the copper colored retainer clip out from the top, then use the pliers to grasp the brass stem and pull the cartridge out. Look for any debris inside of the cartridge.

Thanks - I'll try that.

I noticed that if I turn the knob a bit further, the dripping finally stops. But the chrome handle wouldn't be able to turn that far once all the assembling is done. So I figured the valve is somehow rotated too far to the right.

I'll try your suggestion and see - maybe the cartridge has some wiggle room?

Thanks for the tip!

FYI, I pulled out the cartridge and it seemed as clean as a whistle. The rubber gaskets were nice and snug when placing it back in, but it still leaked, unless I turned the knob an extra 3 degrees or so beyond the handle's limit. I installed a Moen PosiTemp in my other bathroom prior to this and it worked fine, so I guess this one was faulty.

I sucked it up, bought a Delta faucet instead for an extra $50, and it works like a charm.

Ahhhh no, not Delta!! :)

You could've just taken that cartridge to the store and bought or exchanged for a new one. Cheaper than a new valve and faucet. Plus easier to install than a new faucet.

I've had brand new lav faucets that needed the cartridge replaced. The big thing with tub/shower valves is to remove the cartridge if your going to be soldering near the valve.

Well, I tend to shop at home depot, so it wouldn't surprise me if the cartridge had been damaged by a previous installer and then returned.

For future projects, which brands would you recommend most? I don't know much about faucets.

Thanks!

Back