need help replacing Tailpiece extention

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acas1207

Reaction score
Thought this would be easy even for me. In my bathroom sink the tailpiece extention was punctured (it is a flexible plastic like a bendable straw). I bought a replacement and installed it the same way the old one was installed (I think). The bottom part of the extention fits snugly into the p-trap with a gasket and a nut and the top of the extention just slips over the tail piece (not snugly) and screws into the same kind of nut and gasket but there isn't really a seal. It's like the water just 'dumps' into this piece. I compared the new parts to the original and it looks like it's the same thing but the old one worked. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Anthony

My first guess is that the extension is 1 1/2" tubular, the drain on your lavatory is 1 1/4". There is a really thick washer that is used to make the transition in size from 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". If you use a washer meant to attach
1 1/2" together, it will not seal.

Does this help out?

Yes. Those are the dimensions. I have tried the different gaskets in the kit always with the same result.

Back