Moving the Water Supply that is outside of the house.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddj

Reaction score
Hola.

So I was digging the hole to put in an egress window to my basement and came across my water supply, which is butted right up against the outside of the house.

Can I shut off the supply at the street cut the pipe and put a 90 straight down, then across the bottom of the my window well and then straight back up the other side?

If so, this pipe appears to be cast iron, what is the best options for makeing a LONG lasting connection that will be under the ground. I know PVC is good options but is using those rubber boot connectors from the CI to the PVC a lasting solution?

That line is probably copper. Sand a little bit to see what color it is first. In my area they use PVC or soft copper 99% of the time so if it is copper I would dig it up several feet in both directions and see if it would flex below or maybe you would have to solder in a new section.

If that line has been underground, the softness has probably gone away so be careful bending it. I would reroute around the obstruction using at the most 45 degree fittings, as a 90 degree fitting(s) really obstruct the flow.

I haven't cleaned off the pipe completely yet, but I have a suspesion it is not copper... it's like 2". Plus my house is really old (1923). I also would not be able to just bend around it. I have to go 3 feet down or 3.5 out to get around the window well.

I check it out tonight and get back with everyone.

If it is easy to replace the entire line from the meter to the house I would do that and re-route it in the process. If not I would dig back and cut out a section and replace it with the 45's or 90's to go around the window. The hard part will be connecting to the existing line properly.

I'm just concerned why this line is 2". Either it is an overkill, has a well, feeds many other parcels, or maybe is a drain or conduit rather than an incoming water source. If it is in fact your incoming line, Chris is totally correct. Remove and replace because who knows what is going to happen when you try to modify an 88 year old line?

Bummer.

So. I called 811 to come out and layout my whole yard and when I got home I had lovely little yellow flags around my pipe. It's gas.

I imagine the only way to have that one moved is by calling the gas co. Right?

Any clue, or expereince with what this is going to cost me?

Last edited:
It's not as bad as you think. I would give them a call and they will tell you if it is them that move it or your responsibility and go from there. Gas can be pretty inexpensive, most just get worried because of the unknown.

If it's 2" I would tend to think it would be a drain. Could you tack a picture of it?

It could also be an electrical conduit so be careful.

He advised that 2" line is gas. I'm just wondering if he called the Gas Company and explained the routing of that line is a potential safety hazard. With key safety phrases, it cuts through lots of red tape and he just might get the line removed at no expense.

He advised that 2" line is gas. I'm just wondering if he called the Gas Company and explained the routing of that line is a potential safety hazard. With key safety phrases, it cuts through lots of red tape and he just might get the line removed at no expense.

Sorry I must have skipped over that one.

Gas company is only resposible for their service to the meter.
It would normally be the owners responsibility if it's from the meter to his house.

Good luck

When I installed my pool, they used the yellow plastic pipe, which was 1 1/2" diameter. When I asked why it was so big (ok, leave the comments to yourself kids!), the installer said it was to ensure there was plenty of volume to the big BTU heater. I'm wondering if the OP has a similar situation?

The line is before the meter. About 4 feet before the meter. I called the other day and I'm waiting for my local rep to call me back about it. She asked me some questions about it. She asked how far the meter was from the window I was putting in (4 feet) she said code says it has to be 6 feet minimum. I told her it was not installed six feet from windows... that there are three windows one at each side, and one above, that are within 6 feet. So I said well if it was installed improperly should you guys have to move it anyways? And she said she'd "have to look into it".

Ha. So, I'm not sure what's going to happen with it.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Be persistent and emphasize the safety aspect, which will go a long way for good results. Please keep us in mind when you get a satisfactory solution.

Back