Moen Kingsley Faucet Removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTwister

Reaction score
Hello all! I am in the middle of my DIY project where I am replacing a standalone porcelain pedestal sink with a vanity/porcelain sink combination. The faucet on the old sink is a Moen Kingsley 4" Antique Bronze faucet.

However, I have run into a frustrating roadblock! Please see the pics below.

The problem is the brass and rubber washer I have labeled in the picture. It does not twist off like a nut would nor can it be pulled off. These two washers are the only two things remaining that is keeping the faucet attached to the sink. The Moen instructions start with the washers already in place (see page 2): http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/instruction-sheets/ins932b.pdf so I can't see how they got there in the first place. I hate when manufacturers treat us like illiterates with instructions made out of pictures. Jeez.

Anyway, is there some kind of special tool / trick of the trade, etc. that I can use to get these off?

Thanks for your input / help!

MoenFaucet.jpg

MoenFaucet2.jpg

Last edited:
The newer Kingsley has a snap ring in place of the rubber washers. I haven't installed any of the older stile like yours. I would think the rubber washer is doing the same thing the snap ring did. Try prying the rubber washer out. That should allow the faucet to drop down and off the sink.

John

I thinking maybe this is what you have.
Try using a basin wrench underneath to loosen the nut below from the bottom.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-7ltlWU70]Best quality Moen T6105ORB-9000 Kingsley Two-Handle Low Arc Bathroom Faucet - YouTube[/ame]

Hi John & David. Thanks for the replies. I've taken a picture of the underside of the sink for you. There are no nuts on the bottom and unfortunately no snap rings (unit is from 2005). The only thing holding the faucet to the sink right now are these very tight rubber & brass washers. I've got a couple of ideas. 1) lubricate the area above and around the washers with a silicone lubricant I have and see if that helps them to slide up. 2) take my Dremel with a cutting wheel and just cut the washers off. I think the parts that screw on over the cartridges and the faucet itself (and its Allen nut) are plenty to keep the unit in place on the new sink.

MoenFaucet3.jpg

Does an allen wrench in the center nipple loosen the tension of the flat plate underneath enough to remove the washers?
Actually there are two nipples stinking up. one with the o-ring is for the spout.

Back nipple of which is also used for the pop-up rod. is used to hold the spout on.
The front nipple with o-ring I think is holding the plate tight against the sink.
I'm just making a comment on what I see.

Do you want to save the sink that the faucet is on now. Take it out back and bust it up with a hammer.
Don't forget to wear safety glasses

Last edited:
Back