Main Water off - shower still leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlski

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster, know plumbing basics, but not too experienced. I have a small drip from shower. I cut off main water supply downstairs before looking at stem valves, I assumed drip would stop when I did this. After turning off main supply, i get no water from any other sinks, but shower still drips. Is there an issue somewhere else?

thanks.

Sounds like residual water in the pipes. If you turn on the shower after turning off the main completely, is it just a drip or does the water come out forcefully?

Yep, then it is just residual. If you post up a picture, we could probably give guidance in replacing the valve.

so if it just residual water, then the problem is just the valve at the shower, and probably no problems(other valves) anywhere else?
I can take care of the valve at the shower.
Thanks for the help.

Just to confirm, if the shower head drips when the valve is closed and the main water is turned off, then it is most likely only the shower valve. Many are guaranteed for life, so If you removed your valve and took it to where you bought it, they will often replace it for free. If not, a replacement valve can be purchased for between $20 and $50, obviously depending on which brand you have.

Also, many gate valves used to shut down your water get worn out and don't close completely. Most can also be replaced pretty simply, provided you have the ability to shut off the main at the water meter.

Last edited:
Back