Main sewer clean out cap in basement, rusting/leaking- Help needed.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darge82

Reaction score
The main drain pipe going in my basement that goes out through the foundation the cleanout cap is leaking and rusting. But it seems to be leaking on the thread portion where the cap threads into(not the cap itself). I have yet to try to remove it, worried if they threads are so far gone, I will not be able to put it back together. Also it looks like the cap unthreads but then the stepped section also fits into the main pipe, how does this portion get removed? In the event I can get it out with or without damage, what are my options? I have attached pictures to help show what I am describing and where it is leaking/rusting from. It seems like I am also getting a slight odor in this room and I believe its from this leak. 20221119_133417.jpg20221119_133426.jpg

You normally remove it with a pipe wrench another way is yours a hammer and chisel on the thread edges, tapping the chisel into the edge of the brass plug to see If you can get it to loosen you could also cut the nut off of the brass plug the cut pie shaped cuts then yo may be able to wiggle the pieces out with pliers, you can get another threaded cap or home depot or Lowes makes something thats plastic and rubber it's refered to as a spin tire/or dollar plug , as you tighten it it spreads out I think the ones home depot sell are red

You normally remove it with a pipe wrench another way is yours a hammer and chisel on the thread edges, tapping the chisel into the edge of the brass plug to see If you can get it to loosen you could also cut the nut off of the brass plug the cut pie shaped cuts then yo may be able to wiggle the pieces out with pliers, you can get another threaded cap or home depot or Lowes makes something thats plastic and rubber it's refered to as a spin tire/or dollar plug , as you tighten it it spreads out I think the ones home depot sell are red
Thanks. My concern is, if I can get the plug out, the outside piece is the piece that is leaking, not the plug. So how does that get removed? The plug is 4" and the main hole is 5" once that inner part comes out.

That's a lead joint around that cover,IF your comfortable with this you could reset the lead joint with a hammer and chisel, unless the cast iron fitting is to rotted,you would put your chisel on the outside of the lead joint and tap all the way around and then do the same on the inside of the lead joint that may stop it, there is another way if that doesn't work but try that first

How bad does it leak ? I might would wire brush it and dry it with a heat gun then quick set epoxy it. A temporary repair.

Then one day when a plumber needs access he can cut it out and replace/repair it properly.

That's a lead joint around that cover,IF your comfortable with this you could reset the lead joint with a hammer and chisel, unless the cast iron fitting is to rotted,you would put your chisel on the outside of the lead joint and tap all the way around and then do the same on the inside of the lead joint that may stop it, there is another way if that doesn't work but try that first
Yea, I am comfortable doing it. Am I removing the cap and then tapping around the joint on the outside and inside edges? Or am I just tapping around the face of that lead joint?

How bad does it leak ? I might would wire brush it and dry it with a heat gun then quick set epoxy it. A temporary repair.

Then one day when a plumber needs access he can cut it out and replace/repair it properly.
Its not leaking to where its a steady drip or anything. There are a few rust drips that are building up on top of the my dryer (its located under this pipe) It has been leaking for a few years but it seems to be getting progressively worse.

Back